Need a better Delay with a Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wopr, Sep 14, 2005.

1. wopr

wopr Member

I currently have a Boss DM-2. I play it into a Fender Deluxe Reverb with no fx send between the pre and post amp.

It works fine when playing clean, but when use my overdrive pedals. Then it gets a little muddy. Not bad, just muddy to the point where its better to turn it off.

I only use a subtle delay just to fatten up the sound, and I am wondering if there is a better overall delay that might be more versitile.

thanks,

steve

2. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I've really had great results with the Boss DD-20. You have 4 presets that you can tweak exactly as you want. I have 2 presets for clean sounds and 2 presets for overdrive. It works well for me and is a warm sounding delay.

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I just orderd a Memory Lane. I will give you a reveiw once I get it. I have an AD-99 and i don't get mud unless there is too much reverb. Longer delays and less reveb sounds better with distortion. I find that reverb muddies up distortion a bit.

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Are using your delay AFTER your OD pedals? Because thats the only way that it will sound good. You always want to delay a distorted signal, NOT distort your delay. I have used several delays in this way with my DR and never had any problems unless the amp was really distorted. That said, if the DM-2 is an analog delay you just might not like the inherent high frequecy rolloff and would be better suited to a digi delay.

5. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Time effects after gain effects. I always put chorus after distortions and delay after chorus and reverb last. Flangers and phase shifters I treat as chorus and tremalo ... well I generally use it last but it can do some cool things in other places as too.

But every rule has an exception.

6. wopr

wopr Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I run the delay last in the chain. Right now, its
    Vox 810 overdrive -> Langraff DO -> DM-2.

The only real "problem" starts with the LDO.

7. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I like the DD-3 better than a DD-5 or 6.

By the way, what ever happend to the DD-4?

8. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

it hasn't been released yet.

:D

9. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Memory Lane
    [​IMG]

I am using it with a DD5.

I set the DD5 to dotted 8ths and then use the tap tempo on the memory lane and the tt on the DD5 to give me a huge U2 kind of tone.

Works great

10. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I liked the Maxon AD-80 (Analog) with my DR.

11. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Hey Mastervolume, I think you need some more delays on that board. ;)

12. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Joe:

I'm wiping off my computer keyboard from all the drool after seeing the new overdrives and Memory Lane on your pedalboard.

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

To me it sounds like he isn't likeing the Analog delay with the distoriton. Other wise it's fine. I found that my AD-900 seems to get darker when I add OD/distortion to the mix. In my opinion the best sounding delay with distoriton is something brighter than analog and darker than a straight digital. Man my L6 Echopark is a great delay, sounds better than the DL4, uses parallel processing (unlike DL4)and takes up less space. Another cool idea is to get a DD-3 and have one of the big modders add a switchable feature to "analog" it up for you if you like.

IMO, the easiest thing to do, get an Echopark.

14. HHB

HHB Member

I've done this in the past w/ a fender 2 channel amp, run the delay in the second channel and use it's volume as your mix. Take the delay out of the signal path, plug into the 2nd channel's #1 input and jump from that channels #2 input to the input of the delay, set mix to 100% delay and plug into the first channels #1 input, use first channels volume to balance the delay sound, an added plus is that there is no reverb on the first channel so it wont get in the way of the verb

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I'm not sure how you can jumper a fender reverb amp without mods. The two channels are out of phase and would sound terrible when combined (unless the delay reverses the phase). The amps that ARE jumperable are the non-reverb amps like the Bassman.

16. wopr

wopr Member

Well, I tried the advice of turning down the reverb. That seems to really do the trick. Turns out the delay is not really the problem, its the combination of distortion, delay, and reverb.

It works well cause I am not sure that I really need reverb once the band starts playing. It sounds great alone at home, but otherwise it kinda takes you out of the mix.

But, the delay is more pronounced than the reverb, so its more of an "effect".

I read about the memory lane, that thing sounds great. Some day . . . after I pay off the LDO. :)

steve

17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah, Fender 'verb can be a little over the top. I only find it useful between 2-3 on the dial. I'm starting to think that just delay (no reverb at all) sounds better in a full blues/rock/pop band setting (more than a trio). Its more focused, less washed out but still has a nice sense of space. My SF Bassman with a little delay sounds righteous:D

18. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

I've tried this little trick with my Holy Grail on my Bassman and it does seem to integrate the reverb with the amp better. I never thought to do it with a delay but that's a good suggestion. I'll try it out tonight. Thanks!

19. drolling

drolling Member

And that's why so many modern high gain amps don't incorporate a reverb tank. Heavy distortion and reverb are generally not a good combination.