Need a better pitch shift than Boss Super Shifter. What to get?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chrome Dinette, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

Most of the time, I will be using whatever I get to create loops, one octave down, mostly single notes, not much in the way of chords.

Is any of the EH stuff(hog/pog) any good, or should I just look to TC or Eventide?

2. Chrome Dinette

Do Line 6 Pods have any useful pitch shifing ability?

3. dylon

dylon Member

Any pitchshifter EHX makes will do the job. Also, the Foxrox Octron is analog and offers octave up and octave down. It tracks very well (single notes only).

What was the problem with the super shifter? In my experience boss' stuff tracks okay.

4. Chrome Dinette

It tracks ok, but not great, and I generally just don't like the sound of it. In the past, I tended to use it for ridiculous whammy stuff where accuracy wasn't important, but now I have to do something a little more in need of better tracking and pitch accuracy.

5. Chrome Dinette

Reviews seem to indicate that the POG tracks pretty well. Does anybody know about the Micro POG?

6. enocaster

enocaster Member

If you are specifically looking for harmonies, I'd wait until the Digitech Triad comes out this spring. I have a HOG, and while it sounds decent, it won't do smart harmonies and it's best suited for octaves and weird organ/ambient sounds.

7. Spudman

Spudman Member

The Digitech EX7 has a Whammy function that will track down as well as the other Whammy functions. It sounds good and the wahs are awesome and the other effects are good and tailorable too. You'll get a lot for your money and if you don't need pitch shifting you'll also have more effects at your disposal.

8. vorvick

vorvick Member

I have a POG, and it tracks great for me. For one octave down stuff, this should work great - that's what I use it for, into my looper. You have the added benefit of octaves up and polyphony. I don't have a Micro POG, but it might be a lower priced alternative.

9. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

If you don't want to spend big bucks on an Eventide, look for a used Digitech DHP-33 (I believe that's what it's called anyway) or IPS 33b (the "B" is crucial, btw). Those are both very nice units and not too expensive--maybe $200-250 used?

Jeff

10. Chrome Dinette

Thanks for all the tips so far. I am leaning toward the pog, I think. Even though I will most likely use only the octave down, it seems like the lpf should help to tweak for the best tracking.

11. billywade

billywade Member

I have the micro POG and find that it tracks great for octave down single note stuff like you described. I also spent a lot of time trying out a friends full size POG which BTW was a great pedal. For what I needed (I like the organ or White Stripes weedly solo stuff),the micro POG was good, took up a LOT less space, ran on 9 volts (although they still tell you to use the supplied adaptor), and came in a little under $100 less. YMMV & good luck.

12. vorvick

vorvick Member

13. kp8

kp8 Member

if you only want 8ve down for single lines then get the Boss Octave ... look for a used OC-2 ... they track fine. Why break out the elephant gun to kill a mosquito?

14. Zero

Zero Member

The Boss doesn't track that great.

15. Chrome Dinette

Yeah, I am not happy with the tracking on the Boss pedal I have and I suspect that the OC-2 doesn't track any better. Maybe I will find a use for the other controls on the POG if I end up with one.

16. dancehall

dancehall Member

the micro pog tracks flawlessly and is polyphonic. definitely the best choice if all you want is octave down.

17. Chrome Dinette

I ended up ordering a regular pog, figuring I would rather have all of the other features at some point.

18. Chrome Dinette

I got the POG yesterday, and I am very pleasantly surprised.

It tracks significantly better than my boss pedal and the LPF and +1 and +2 octaves really help make the sound of it usable.