Need a boost pedal suggestion, a lil different though

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Baba, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I usually stay far away from this section in order to keep my bank accounts intact. :p

Anyway, I have a couple of new amps, and I find myself in need of a boost pedal for my pedalboard. The amps are a Peavey Classic 50, and a Rivera Knucklehead. I dig the tones of both of those amps' dirty channel, but believe it or not, I don't quite get the 'sustain forever' while doing leads. They are both high gain, but not like metal amps, so it's not infinite gain.

I've used an MXR micro amp in the past and liked it, but I'd like to add a pedal with a tad bit of gain to put my solos over the top and get some nice sustain going into feedback sort of thing. It may be because I try to keep a civil stage volume, and I don't quite push these amps where they need to go.

Second question would be, is it okay to run such a pedal into the FX loop, or is it best before the amp? I also planned on getting a looper so I could switch the boost and delay in at the same time for soloing. I'm not sure if I could do this if one pedal is in front and the other is in the loop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso will add a bit more grit, but it will also add a bit more low end. Really fat sounding dirty boost!

3. david henman

david henman Member

....the barber tone press solved this specific problem for me. the secret is in the blend control.

-dh

4. dosmun

dosmun Member

HOTCAKE

I use my HC into my Rivera M-60 as a dirty boost. Run it in front of the amp.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Baba, I know this issue well. I've played a Rivera K-55 head for years (the first edition).

When using the lead channel and trying to go over the top, I found the clean boost side of the PE Germ to be the biggest fattest sounding boost around. Something about germanium. It's got the OD side too, but I didn't use that.

J. Everman Fuzzdrive G2--big huge boost that can add a little fuzziness around the edges of your already dirty amp.

TC Jauernig Luxury Drive--Big huge clean boost, great for driving other drive pedals or dirty amps.

Sansamp GT-2--I used to use this years ago. I set it on one of the cleaner settings to boost dirty amps. It was cool because in addition to tailoring the sound, it also gave me a additional volume, gain and the two-band EQ. I might have to bust this rig out again. I'm wondering if one of those Tonebone British pedals would work in the same way.

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

OK, this part is key. You definitely want something with a gain knob. I stand by my Sansamp and J. Everman recommendations. Take a look at the Xotic AC booster. Gain, volume and a two band EQ...

7. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Is it better/worse/different running it in front of the amp or in the loop? Keep in mind, I already have a lot of gain and get my tone from the amp itself.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

To get more gain, you'll want to put it pre-gain. To get more volume, post-gain.

I recommend the catalinbread SPP for your needs. Putting it in front of your amp will add some natural (amp) gain, and fatten up your notes like a bucket o' doughnuts. It'll make your tone sound like your tone, but just more of it (and better!).

9. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Would a compressor do this trick as well, or no?