Need a Boss DM-2 Genius

Chippo

Hey guys

I've read heaps of DM-2 threads but I can't find anyone who has quite asked my question. I got a boss DM-2 last week and love it. I'm just trying to get the sounds i have heard so often with the oscillation as well. I've been reading a lot about people messing with the insides and have tried to rule out the possability that mine has been played with and just have 1 last thing bothering me slightly

It doesnt show any of the usual signs of being tampered with but it seems to oscillate a bit earlier than others i see on youtube. Theres a lot of people complaining that they can't get thiers to do it at all but mine goes crazy with the repeats at the 3 o'clock mark where i see others having to crank the level and repeats all the way up. Is this normal?

Thank heaps

Last edited:

mattlee0037

If it doesn't seem normal the inner trim pots may have been adjusted. At least in my experience BBD delays have trimpots to bias them.

Edit: yes don't touch the trimpots, but I've seen plenty of people move them. Also component pot tolerances are about 20% so that could very well be why it starts at 3 o'clock while in reality it's the same pot resistance or close.

Last edited:

jdel77

Don't fool around with the trims.
The DM-2 will oscillate at different knob settings depending on strength of input signal (pickups), proximity to an amp or creating a feedback loop.
Oscillation is just the signal coming OUT of a pedal being fed back INTO the pedal in a cycle. You can do it with any pedal that has an out signal. Sorta like feedback from your pickups to your amp to your pickups to your amp etc... etc...
Mine oscillates well enough with Repeat Rate and Echo cranked and Intensity at about 2 or 3 o'clock and up depending on the above factors.

mabnotes

Supporting Member
I've owned several over the years, untouched insides (could still see the sealed trimmers), and some would not oscillate, some would but you'd have to crank the repeats and then turn the delay time short, and some would act as yours does.

Chippo

thanks heaps

I don't plan on adjusting anything. I just wanted to see if it was normal that it oscillates this early so i can sleep properly at night

Cheers

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
You're lucky, you got a good one! I have one that won't really oscillate at all, and one that does. I like the one that oscillates better, all around.

SonicVI

There's a single resistor in the feedback loop that along with the intensity pot sets the amount of feedback. Tolerance of the pot and resistor will make the actual values vary from the labeled value. If you get no oscillation you can reduce the value of the resistor a bit and if you get early oscillation you can increase it a bit. Its R13 (22K) on the DM2 schematic.

RouseTheBoroughs

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys

I've read heaps of DM-2 threads but I can't find anyone who has quite asked my question. I got a boss DM-2 last week and love it. I'm just trying to get the sounds i have heard so often with the oscillation as well. I've been reading a lot about people messing with the insides and have tried to rule out the possability that mine has been played with and just have 1 last thing bothering me slightly

It doesnt show any of the usual signs of being tampered with but it seems to oscillate a bit earlier than others i see on youtube. Theres a lot of people complaining that they can't get thiers to do it at all but mine goes crazy with the repeats at the 3 o'clock mark where i see others having to crank the level and repeats all the way up. Is this normal?

Thank heaps
I've seen several of them with the trim pots messed with, others that were left alone, a truly good tech can easily calibrate these by ear, I've had a friend do it on his and if I wasn't such a giant *****, I'd probably let him adjust mine.

These pedals were a bit hit and miss when it came to calibration (from the factory) from what I've seen, mine has a tiny bit of clock whine when pushed
into heavier delays but I use it for shorter times ( the Empress SD takes care of the madness)

I have an open line with AnalogMike on mine and it might be heading there for some fine tuning soon, so we'll see

Coldacre

thanks heaps

I don't plan on adjusting anything. I just wanted to see if it was normal that it oscillates this early so i can sleep properly at night

Cheers
if you're still unsure, send it to Marcus @ Young Pedals for calibration. he's top notch (no affiliation, other than he worked on mine... from the other side of the world). that way you'll sleep better knowing its 100%

alexiskinson

You have a good DM-2. Mine needs to be cranked to oscillate.

May I ask what power you are feeding your DM-2?

Vintage Boss pedals are very power sensitive. Mine can run with battery, but the LED will not be lid and no oscillation at all. If mine is run with 9v power supply, the LED will lid a bit more and oscillate when cranked. Even oscillate more when I run 12v in it, but definitely not at 3 o'clock.

I think you can try starving your DM-2 to get rid of some oscillation.

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
You have a good DM-2. Mine needs to be cranked to oscillate.

May I ask what power you are feeding your DM-2?

Vintage Boss pedals are very power sensitive. Mine can run with battery, but the LED will not be lid and no oscillation at all. If mine is run with 9v power supply, the LED will lid a bit more and oscillate when cranked. Even oscillate more when I run 12v in it, but definitely not at 3 o'clock.

I think you can try starving your DM-2 to get rid of some oscillation.
This is highly likely. Needs 12v and nothing else!!!

Coldacre

Vintage Boss pedals are very power sensitive. Mine can run with battery, but the LED will not be lid and no oscillation at all.
that's really strange. if I throw a 9v battery in mine, the LED light is bright and the oscillation is the same as when I run it off the power supply.

alexiskinson

that's really strange. if I throw a 9v battery in mine, the LED light is bright and the oscillation is the same as when I run it off the power supply.

I don't know. That's what happens to me. I hope my DM-2 oscillates like insane.

Mine is from 1982, is it production year related?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Topics