Need a case for 63 Gibson SG Special -- Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sgt_steiner, Feb 23, 2008.

1. sgt_steiner

sgt_steiner Supporting Member

Hello All --

Does anybody make newer hard-shell cases for something like my '63 Special? Looking for something very durable/protective. I know that the headstock pitch/angle varies between some of the years on SG's, so that may be a factor.

Many thanks for any help...

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Just a straight up Gibby case should cover it! I bought one years ago that was made for an ES-175 and it housed my old L-50 for years... Sold the L-50 and now I use the case for my old '68 J-45 - pretty versatile case IMHO.

3. gad zooks

gad zooks Member

I had a 63 special for years and never found any production case to fit it. None of the ones Gibson makes will fit. Between body and neck angle differences they just don't cut it. I eventually resigned myself to a gig bag, but man, talk about the ultimate guitar you don't want to keep in a soft case! I was always paranoid something would hit it and snap off the neck.

4. sgt_steiner

sgt_steiner Supporting Member

Somebody's GOT to make a hard-case for these (don't they?).

5. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I had a 1962 Les Paul Junior/SG that I needed a case for. I bought an SBK case for it, from Guitar Center. It worked perfect. I think that the model was a SKB1961, but I am not positive. If you ask for that brand's case for an SG, they will know what you need. I think that I paid around $95.00 for it. This was a few years ago.

Good luck,

Mark