Need a CD burner, what to look for?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Mark C, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Mark C

Mark C Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for an inexpensive stand alone CD burner to record my mixes from pro tools. What features should I be looking for? I'm probably going to buy used off Ebay and am hoping to budget around $150.

2. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

The thing to watch out for is the consumer models often will only record to the "audio" CD-R disks, which are more expensive than standard computer grade CD-R disks. If you think you will do a lot of recording IMO it is worth buying a "professional" machine, you will recoupe the difference in purchase price quickly with the cheaper media, and in theory have a better quality recorder.

We have a Tascam CD-RW4U that we use to record rehearsals, I think is is discontinued now but it has worked flawlessly for about 2 years now and it will record on standard disks.

I looked quickly, there one currenty for sale on Ebay, I don't know the seller, so please don't consider this a recomendation for buying from them.

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Do you not have a CD burner in your PT computer now?

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Seriously, just run it back into your soundcard, onto a stereo track in PT. There's no way the converters in a $150 CD recorder are better than the ones in your soundcard.

Are you mixing outside the box?

Loudboy

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Most sound cards will allow you to loop the digital i/o so you can bypass the converters and record a stereo track. Then you'll have something that you can easily burn to cd/dvd or export to mp3.

You might get lucky and find an old Marantz or HHB. They sound ok, IIRC, but they don't really add any extra capabilities and they won't burn a disk any better than a pc drive.