Need a chorus pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I am currently considering getting a chorus pedal, and right now have my mind on the boss ce-20.

However, I am a little put off by it's size. Are there any comparable/superior choruses out there that are smaller? I'm willing to pay up to 250 dollars, USD

2. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

You might look into the analogman clone chorus. Seems to get good reviews and there are usually a couple on ebay and occasionally one or two on here. Haven't played it myself...

3. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

oh-oh... here comes another ten pages...

4. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

if size is an issue, yes the Analogman is now making one in the Phase 90 size box. Cool pedal...I step on mine all the time. Juicy it is.

Larger size, but I also like the new features of the MXR Stereo Chorus 134. Well worth checking.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thanks for the responses!

Listen, I'd be perfectly happy with the CE-20, except it uses quite a bit of real estate. I'm already using a DD-20, a digitech whammy, a wah, an eq-20, and a tonebone hot british pedal. I also have a number of smaller pedals. I can JUST BARELY fit the CE-20 on, but I'm afraid of damaging some of my wires (especially on the power supply).

My point is, I have a lot of large pedals. I'm really gassing for a CE-20, but would settle for something comparable if it's smaller.

Basically, this thread is for you all to say "If I had a CE-20, I'd trade it in for a...."

I will check out the analogman chorus. Any other suggestions?

6. somedude

somedude Member

The Small Clone and CE-2 are my favorites....

.....and if real estate is at a premium, the the Analogman Mini-Clone Chorus Small Clone chorus clone seems ace. :D

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I think the DLS chorus units are the best. I have had most of the other ones and didn't care for the muddyness.

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

My new favorite is the Pearl CH-02.

I now have two of them because they kick ass.

9. telebuck

telebuck Member

+1 on the Mini Analogman Chorus.

Just received mine (sorry for the honeymoon review). But I am very impressed. I had a great Ibanez CS-9 reissue that provided nice analog shimmery chorus, but the Analogman has that, while adding fatness and vibe to the tone. With the speed and depth at their minimums, kicking it on adds a nice depth to the tone. As speed is increased, it starts to produce a nice vibe sound. The CS-9 speed worked well, but didnt seem to add the same warble that the AM does. Small size is nice too.

10. jzucker

Depends on what you're looking for. I think if you're looking for the really clean Eric Johnson type of chorus, the analogman isn't the right chorus for you. For that you will need a TC chorus or a DLS chorus.

I'm actually surprised that EJ uses a TC chorus considering that not only is it not true bypass but it also colors the guitar signal (reduces mids and increases highs) even when bypassed.

11. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Not surprising at all when you consider that it's on his clean amp rig only and he doesn't ever turn it off!

- DB

12. jzucker

Yeah. I guess he uses the OD rig with the volume on the guitar turned down for the "clean" hendrixy stuff.

13. hide

hide Member

ce-2 is my favorite
    3 boss twin pedal would be an overkill in your rig

14. DavidE

DavidE Member

I just got an Ibanez CS9 from a TGP member and I really like it. Just the chorus sound I like with no extra frills for me to mess it up.

15. devbro

devbro Member

+2 on the Analogman Mini Chorus. Just got mine last week and it's everything I expected. :dude

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

problem may be solved. I use my whammy pedal on "shallow detune" setting for chorus now, and it sounds fine for my needs

17. Tchello

Tchello Member

My suggestion: TC Electronic Stereo Chorus Flanger, not everyone cup of tea, but for me the best chorus available today.

18. jzucker

Too bad it's not true bypass. I agree it sounds great but it colors the guitar's tone too much, even in "bypass" mode.

It is a wonderful tone though. Have you tried the DLS? I believe it captures the analog-type sound of the TC but has true bypass.

19. erksin

erksin Member

The DLS is just a great sounding unit IMO. It has a bunch of distinct, useable tones with controls that function really well. Dialing in different tones is super easy, you can go from the TC tones to CE-1 tones to Magnatone-style Vibrato to Leslie-ish stuff with just a few tweaks. The Blend knob is fantastic - you can have all the richness/thickness of the CE-1 tone AND maintain clarity and string definiton.

There may be other units out there that do specific tones better, but I don't think there are many that can cop all the tones you can get out of the DLS.

20. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

I relisted an EBS UniChorus. It's practically new.
    AUCTIONS