Need a Classical for my son....

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jiml, Dec 10, 2019.

1. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

My son is into Classical style, and my old, beaten nylon stringed hand me down isn't cutting it.

Need to buy a decent (~$500) Classical for XMas for him.

Any suggestions?

2. redir

redir Member

Cordoba seems to get a lot of respect in that price range but if it was me I would be looking at Yamaha, solid reputation and I always tell people that I've been doing repairs for over 25 years and the brand of guitar I see least in my shop is Yamaha.

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

The best I have tried recently in that price range has been Katoh, but I don't think that they are available in the US. I agree that Cordoba are very popular, and I almost bought one of their "Fusion" models a few years ago, but they are a bit too "polite" sounding for my tastes, and I too would be looking at Yamaha.

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Cordoba C5. Got one for my kid. 3 years later it's still the first guitar he grabs.

Find the best package deal you can online and get a price match from GC so you can play it first.

5. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

Yamaha makes a range of good classical guitars.

Jp2558 likes this.
  6. beeswax75

beeswax75 Member

Look at a Cordoba Dulce. They're like 7/8 size so a bit easier to play and good quality (I own one and can vouch). Not the best sustain, but a good beginner classical.