Need a Cure - Cab GAS

Gas Hed

Hey Folks,

I need to join a support group for people who suffer from Cabinet GAS. I have made the life changing discovery that speakers, cabinets, speaker placement, cabinet placement, cabinet angles all have significant impact on tone or perceived tone (meaning how you hear it depending on where you are standing/sitting). What's interesting is my favorite set up is a 1x12 open back with a G12H30 on an angled amp stand where the speaker is pointed right at my head. I haven't been able to "beat" that set up but yet I still want to experiment more. I mean, a 4x12 is better, right? RIGHT??? Anybody been through this? Is there a cure?

Cheers!

C-4

I found that Zilla cabs cured my GAS. AZilla Ported 1x12 with a Celestion Alnico Cream 90 is what I use.

I did previously use 4x12's, and 2x12's but now with clubs demanding more quiet playing volumes, the Zilla Ported 1x12 wins over all the others I've researched. :)

stargazer747

I nixed that problem right from the very beginning, I bought one of each size cab...
-Marshall 412 with Celestion Vintage 30s
-EVH 5150 III 212 comes with Celestion 70th Anniversary
-EVH 5150 III 112 same as above

Dr. Diabeetus

Silver Supporting Member
I was able to parse it down from 7 cabinets to two cabinets, because I'm not a fan of alnico speakers.

A gorgeous redplate 4x12 with early UK V30s, and a homebrew 1x12 with a 55hz scumback.

With the right mics I can do whatever I need to *shrugs*

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
The cab can really make the difference, both based on the amp and what you are trying to get out of it. I had stayed with smaller cabs with open backs until recently. Since I'm playing more Marshall-style amps these days and I didn't like it with the narrow, open back cab loaded with v30s, I opted to have a StoneAge 2x12C (oversized) closed-back built and loaded it with Scumback alnicos. I also had a closed back 1x12 built and put a Scumback M75 in there for recording. Both turned out really well and I use them regularly, but I got the itch for a 4x12 and damn if it isn't a glorious thing. With that I have it loaded with 2 '71 greenbacks and a pair of Scumback J75s. These cabs are working overtime this week!

slayerbear17

sigh I'm still GASING for a straight MESA 4X12
20201017-142427.jpg

burton56

The cure is to never ask this question on the amp and cab section of something called “The GEAR Page.”
Your best bet is to go read a book, or mow the lawn.
Or just buy a few cabs, what do I know?
I just ate a 1400 calorie burger from Carl’s Jr. for breakfast. My advice is seldom solid.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
The cure is running out of real estate. There's a reason I'm no multimillionaire with a spare airplane hangar.

We recently had the stair railings/banisters, etc replaced at our house and the contractor wanted to remove a 10' section that is a half-wall. Unfortunately, I had to explain that area is reserved for amp cab overflow. The wife was non-plussed. Six cabs and counting so real estate is limited.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom