1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need a delay for my Flexi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Nov 27, 2005.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Anyone find something that works especially well with the Flexi? I welcome your thoughts/advice.

2. AD

AD Supporting Member

I tried a few to no avail but the digitech digidelay works quite well. For $60 used, i was pleasantly surprised.

3. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

H&K replex.

Even thou manual states not too... I insert in the FX loop, works most wonderful.
    ~Jay

4. mailman

mailman Member

I found the same thing true as Alex...Digitech Digidelay (bought on Ebay for $52 used) works very well, AND I would definitely run it through the FX loop (as opposed to running it in front of the amp). Heck, that's what the FX loop was designed for!---especially for delay units!;)

5. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Question.. I just ordered a Flexi and expect to receive it this week. Why would the manual suggest to not run a delay in the loop?

Rick

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Just guessing because I don't know that particular unit, but most stomp type pedals want to see guitar signal levels, not line levels (which are most often provided by effects loops).

7. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

ahh, I didn't read stomp box. I thought the manual sugested to not put a "delay" in the loop. Didn't make sense to me. That makes more sense.

Rick

8. zavorash

zavorash Guest

sorry about going off topic here, but how are you liking your Flexi? I've been looking at THD heads for quite a while (mostly the Bi, but recently switched to the Flexi), and I'm ever so curious. :D

9. planetal

planetal Member

I use a Boss DD20 with my flexi in the effects loop.. Works quite well..

Al

10. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

The H&K replex manual states as such, but did not stop me. The replex has input and output level control. I dialed it in with no prob.

11. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Obviously, I can't truly answer here, as I haven't received mine yet, but I was in your boat only 1 week ago.

I thought the Bivalve was the one I wanted. It wasn't until I had the opportunity to play them both wide open head to head (thanks Westwood Music) that I made my decision. It was a no brainer for me. the feel and responsiveness of the Flexi was beautifull. I'm pairing it with a hotplate, as I no longer play any gigs that will allow something like this wide open.

I was able to get great cleans (IMO) and drenched lead tones between the boost switch and the volume knob.

I'd really recommend finding a way to A/B them. I was completely sold on the Bivalve after listening to clips and researching.... trying the Flexi out changed my mind.

Good luck,
    Rick

12. zavorash

zavorash Guest

awesome. So I'm basically looking for an amp that'll do everything from nice cleans to Hendrix to hard/modern rock to Satch type leads. Is all that possible with the Flexi?

Also, I've heard a lot about their gain coming off as "farty". Have you experienced any of this?

(Sorry to take over this thread, but I promise I'll be out of your way shortly). :D

13. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Satriani, IMO, isn't huge gain, but moderately high gain hit with a pedal. Given that, I think the Flexi will do just what you asked. The Hendrix tones are there in spades, from the slightly breakup "Wind Cries Mary" 'esque to the full on marshall crunch. Check out some of Ed DeGenaro's tones in the Soundclip section. He's got a ton of them. Hear's a link to a great thread where Ed provided me with a bunch of clips of both Bivalve and Flexi.

thread

Rick

14. fyler

fyler Member

i have a flexi and have never, ever heard it sound "farty". it has a crapload of bass, though, so i can see how, if it was paired with a speaker cab that had any tendency to be farty, it would send it over the edge. i have my flexi running through two THD cabs and the sound is huge (not a fart in sight) :D

15. markp

markp Member

On the Farty issue with Flexi.
    You can if you want, but it is just as easy to not.
    Take some mushy preamp tubes and some 34s that give it up really early,then you just have to turn it up to far with boost dimed and with master off ,then your power tubes will give up before the rest of the amp.If you like preamp gain ,take this same set up and turn the master on and it will be pretty gooey.(not my favorite way to use the Flexi.)

With a little tweeking ,the Flexi can be ,Open sounding,clean,nasty,tight,chewy,scrachy,warrm ,fat,bright,chimey,pretty,pretty ugly,and is possible to sound really bad.

The tricky part is to,get a nice clean open sound with some good chime with some good chewy girth undernieth.
    Sweet gained up compression while still getting some open chimy thing going at the same time!is the goal,Not farty.

16. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Great post Mark.. I have to disagree with the previous poster, as I find it really ez to set up the Flexi farty! BUT your post is right on the money, it's just as ez for me to set it up for loads of great tones. It's a matter of either intuition , experimentation, experience or whatever, but it's really ez to dial in great tones with it too.. The best way to get farty to me is just turn everything to 10 . That doesn't work on this amp. Same with turning the gain up too high and the master too low. Just doesn't work... BUT the great tones , which are REALLY EZ to get make the farty ones very ez to avoid! GOOD LUCK and enjoy the great amp

ERIC