need a delay that won't chop highs

jdogric12

Hi gang. I've noticed that my old Ibanez ADL delay pedal, while sounding really cool and analog-y, chops off high end information. I discovered this when trying to use it with my Minitaur (Taurus pedals in a box - lots of crispy highs). I ended up having to take my Line 6 DL4 to the show instead, set to "digital delay." It worked just fine, aside from being more car than I needed.

What's the best bang for the buck in a more compact unit? A Boss DD-#? I don't need to mount it to a board. It will sit freestanding. I just need to make sure it's not cutting off any high (or LOW!!!) frequency info. Thanks, J

Kluch

dd-3, dd-7 or dd-20 will work depending on how many options/how much versatility you want. Love my dd-20 but a dd-3 will do the job well. Boss delays have a superb ability to cut through the mix

shinksma

Yep, a DD-3 would be a relatively affordable "solid" solution. You could try one of the less-expensive Digital Delays from the cloner companies, but I don't know if they are as "clean" (maintain brightness) as well as the Boss.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I'm an enormous fan of the Boss DD3. Inexpensive and sounds great. Doesn't cut highs.

/thread

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
TC Flashback. For a small footprint get a mini and program it to the 2290 setting. It doesn't get any cleaner than that.

Transmisser

I really dig the repeats on the Boss DD-5. I've played the DD-6 and DD-7 and they're cool as well. Boss delays may be the best bang for your buck, IMO.

IbanezRokr

I think one of the most overlooked digital delays, especially in the bang for the buck area, is a Marshall Echohead. This might fit your bill.

Turi

Any digital delay that isn't modelling analog, or tape.

The BOSS DD series should be great, my friend has a DD-7 and it's amazing..

I had a Hardwire DL-8 a while back that was absolutely fantastic - crystal clear, pristine repeats in that one, amongst other great sounding delays.

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
Any digital delay that isn't modelling analog, or tape.

The BOSS DD series should be great, my friend has a DD-7 and it's amazing..

I had a Hardwire DL-8 a while back that was absolutely fantastic - crystal clear, pristine repeats in that one, amongst other great sounding delays.
+1 on the Hardwire.

speedyone

TC Flashback on 2290 setting -- very pristine, super clean...but not warm (if you care about that)

Made in Japan Boss DD3 or DD2 -- super clean, but also warm. Best aspects of analog and digital

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've used the DD2 in a situation where I wanted to preserve highs, and I'd say it's a bit lacking there. It IS warm, and great sounding, but not pristine in the sense of a great rack mount delay. For that I'd go with the Flashback (2290 or digital presets), the Korg SDD3000 (or even the Vox Delaylab if you can find one), or the Eventide Delayfactor or H9.

Trending Topics