need a delay w the following specs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rynugz007, Feb 25, 2012.

1. rynugz007

rynugz007 Member

100% analog when bypassed

tap tempo that changes tempo instantly without out any cutout or pitch change

buffered bypass preferably

leans on the clean side but would be nice if it had a tone knob (like the tech 21 boost DLA) to get a little darker if needed

should self oscilate easily and sound good doin it

no dropout or noise when engaging or disengaging the pedal (the tech 21 would of been the perfect pedal for me if it didn't drop the signal when I turned it on)

price range (under $300)

2. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

TC Electronics IB Modified Nova Delay over at PGS. Win.

3. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

El Cap/Brig?

4. rynugz007

rynugz007 Member

that TC nova doesn't oscilate at all, unfortunately

5. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

You are right. Too bad. I just got one recently. The pedal is FABULOUS.

6. rynugz007

rynugz007 Member

the el capistan sounds awesome on their website demos!! that's definitely a contender...but can it do straight up clean delays? Or strictly wobbly tape echos?

7. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

8. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

It's a tape emulator... Not really designed to be a pristine digital delay. However, it can definitely do a really clean tape delay.

If you're looking for a lot of versatility, just get a Timeline and be done with your delay search. It sounds identical to the El Capistan (dTape mode), along with about 10-11 other delay engines that sound awesome.

9. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

DD7 has all the features you are looking for (you dont want a TB one, right?), it doesnt have a tone knob but the various types of delay voicing you can choose from can go from birght to dark, worth (and easy) try...

10. rynugz007

rynugz007 Member

I had the DD7 but thought there might be something better out there. went down the analog route w the EH memory boy deluxe but thought it was too dirty for me, then tech 21 boost DLA but hated the drop out when I engaged the pedal. I very well may end up with the DD7 again at some point. But I'd like to try some other stuff before I go back. I was always under the impression that the DD7 converted the entire signal to digital (dry and wet) but as it turns out from reading here that it does NOT do that. So yeah, the DD7 is an option for me....again

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

I LOVE my IB Modified Nova Delay! Just got it from Pro Guitar Shop, and it sounds wonderful with fat and warm delay taps.

While it doesn't do the oscillation sounds very well, it still sounds fantastic.
    For Modulation sounds, I use a new TC Flashback, which has a great Modulation Delay setting. I've always used two delay's on my board, and this combination is perfect together. (replacing a Boss Giga Delay and L6 Echo Park, and the TC's leave those in the dust!).

But, don't use the Wall Wart that comes with the Nova - it's super noisy! I power the Nova with my new T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon, and it is very quiet - no noise at all.

12. rynugz007

rynugz007 Member

I'm looking at the following so far

El capistan
    visual sound dual delay (although probably too big)
    seymour duncan deja vu
    t rex reptile 2
    EH stereo memory man w hazarai

13. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Tech 21 has a drop? I thought the Tech 21 had a "boost"?

I have a haz and I "do" notice a very small drop with that one....

14. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

Just do the El cap man. You really cant go wrong, it has a 3db boost anyway. Can get clean tape sounds as well as dirt modulate tape sounds. So versatile. Has a looper

15. dankmyers

dankmyers Member

DD-20 is close, but no great oscillation.

16. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

The Boss RE-20 has all of the above. Really cool oscillation as well.

17. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Sounds like you might just want to wait for the Way Huge Supa Puss.

18. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

The original post mentioned about drop outs, put perhaps of another variety. That said keep in mind the El Capistan is noted from dropping out the echoes when clicking the tempo button after you have kicked the pedal in. I've heard the Timeline has no sure issues.

19. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I can't remember of any pedal right now that is not 100% analog when bypassed... meaning that I can't think of a pedal with a digital buffer.

That's weird... it must be a faulty one. The provided adaptors are very quiet, effectively giving the pedal its own power supply that's regulated and completely independent of the other pedals in the chain.

20. rynugz007

rynugz007 Member

I don't mind the delayed signal dropping out while I'm tapping (i can still tap when the pedal is bypassed right?)

the dropouts I was speaking of had to do with the tech 21 DLA boost pedal. The signal cuts out briefly when engaging/disengaging the pedal. Almost a popping effect. Can someone confirm that most of the other pedals I mentioned don't do this. I know the DD7 didn't.