need a good auto whah for Jam band stuff.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dave-o, Oct 6, 2005.

1. dave-o

dave-o Member

Im looking for a good auto whah reccomendation for Garcia type sounds. I was thinking mxr or the trinity,
    THanks!

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

GO with the Q-Tron, the Maxon AF9 or the MXR. I went with the MXR Auto Q and it is okay!

3. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

To be honest, I have just about every one ever made, and the one that sounds best and is most versatile is.......
    drumroll please........
    Line 6 Filter Modeler or Filter Pro....
    It literally nails every other one ever made, and then some....
    Steve

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

get an EMMA discumBOBulator. its like the best mutron you ever heard plus a bag of chips....

5. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i use my trusty old qtron with great results, and they are cheap and plentiful. i'm sure other pedals will do it too, with varying degrees of approximation, but the digital modelers are kind of overkill for the garcia thing.

check out the JG tones the guy in dark star orchestra gets--he uses a qtron too. the key to getting garcia tone is to play through an amp that won't distort when you trigger the filter. it's got to stay clean and bell-like.

6. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

7. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I have had the AF-9, Robotalk, and the Mutron III. The Robotalk was the worst of the bunch. WAY too bright! The Mutron III is by far the best out there. The AF-9 is pretty good. :) Nothing comes close to the Mutron. It's huge. But I find room.

8. jordanL

jordanL Member

I use a Mini Q-tron, and it does a great job on the Jerry tones, except for the few down wah tunes(70's Dancin'). I agree w Mlynn you need an amp with a lot of head room for the Jerry tones. Also remember that these things are extremly volume senstitive, Jerry ran a loop off his guitar, so that his effects saw a constant volume.

9. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've got a Mutron III, a Q-Tron, and a few cheaper alternatives. I prefer the Q-Tron by a long shot. I have heard about issues with the power supplies for the Q-Tron, but I've had mine about a year and have never had a problem. :cool:

10. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

As already mentioned, I suggest a Mini Q-Tron or a Maxon AF-9. I like the AF-9 because its smaller, but both can get that late 70s Jerry Garcia Dancin-Shakedown Street sound like he got from his Mu-Tron. The regular Q-Tron is just too big of a pedal for my liking as opposed to the Mini.

11. dave-o

dave-o Member

Im thinking about a guyatone wr-2. mostly because its small, cheap and people seem to like it. THe EH stuff is way to big, and I have had issues with thier reliability. The robo talk is a close second, but its expensive and Im only using this for a few songs anyway. Anyone like the guyatone?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i actually really like the Robotalk. that brightness helped slice thru a dense mix like a hot knife thru butter.

but yea, the Mutron is still the king, IMHO. instant parliament /funkadelic. :cool:

course, i dont dig the annoying power supply to run it. :(

13. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I caught Johnny-A live recently, and this was my first exposure to the Robotalk. I was quite impressed both by the show and the pedal.

14. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

I've had a Qtron and a Mini Q tron. I liked the Mini Q tron the best for those Jerry tones--it nails the "Feel Like a Stranger" tone. But I sold it for a Robotalk. Its filter sound is a little more unique sounding and does cut through better. I also love the sample/hold filter effect.

15. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I've got a few of the classics, but I tend to bust out the "Wah Rocker" quite a bit! I had it on my board with my old band. Not as warm and smooth as some of the others, but live, it's hard to beat it's "cranky quack" as a friend described it. It's the only guyatone I like.

16. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I dunno man. Based on a lot of hype and recommendations, I ordered one cuz the mini Guyatone I had was a POS. The mini toggle on the Emma was defective. Bummer.

I got jacked around by the dealer in So Cal on the return (won't buy from them again either, musictoyz is not alone :p), so I contacted the importer in NJ who was apologetic and very cool, even overnighted me a replacement.

Alas, the replacement pedal was extremely difficult to get good tonal stuff from, it went off to ebay without ever seeing a gig. Back to the Clyde since then, the EH stuff is too big, I don't really need an envelope filter for much anyway...

17. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i've been the garcia search for a while too. i tried the emma, but it wasn't quite soft enough ... likewise for the rastop.

the q-tron is excellent, and the q-tron+ adds an effect loop and can get a little softer sounding on the attack. but there's not a huge difference between them.

i finally got an original mutron III and there's a good difference between it and the q-tron (more so than the q-tron v. q-tron +). it's a little more vocal sounding and will work across a broader range of frequencies. (the way i set up the q-tron, it doesn't come out well in the higher range, but sounds super sweet for low & mid notes). the q-tron will sound just as good in the low notes but still come out better in the highs.

i can't remember the others i've tried, but i ended up selling everything except the q-tron, q-tron+, and mutron III. they're probably the best bets out there for the super-soft attack wah.