Need a good box in a hurry to ship an amp! Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by squeally dan, Jul 9, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Where can I get a box big enough to ship a Rivera Jake combo? I wasn't really planning on selling it and I'm not real prepared. Any suggestions?

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Have you checked with your local music store?

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

That's the tip right there. They usually have several on hand they are just going to throw away.

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Not sure where you live but local Moving companies may have something.

5. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

UPS Store, music store, or sometimes you can find the right size moving boxes at a Lowes or Home Depot

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

You can always take it to a UPS store and have them box it up for you. They do a good job and if you're in a hurry, it's not that much money.

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

The last time I checked, they charged ALOT more than if you just do it yourself. I dive in a few dumpsters, hit a few music or appliance stores, then if I can't find one, I go to The UPS Store to buy a box. I'll pack and mail it myself, so I don't have to pay double the price for them to do it.

8. snoggin

snoggin Member

Yeah I would not trust ups.. I went and looked into it here in a major metro area store and the young guy behind the counter said " uh we could maybe do it" come see my manager in theree hours".. I wa s just neveer mind.. alll their boxes aree square and amps are not.. music store or container store is the best bet

9. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Yeah, I guess it really all depends on the individual store. The one in my town does a great job (and very quickly), and they come in handy when I'm in a hurry to ship an amp and just don't have the proper equipment at home. And I'm not in any way a UPS fan -- I don't use them for shipping.

10. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

I've had one bad experience with my local UPS store, but after that I shipped another amp thru them and was EXTREMELY specific about how I wanted the amp packed and paid $150 and the buyer said it was the best packed amp he's ever seen....

the best regular box I've found is a box from an American Standard toilet set with the tank and bowl packaged together.......damngood box. may not be big enough for some 2x12 combos.

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Damn, $150? Wowza... I buy a box for $10 or less (if I can't find a free one), buy some brown packing paper for $5 or so, use around $2.00 in packing tape, then ship an amp for, oh, maybe $60 on average. That's $77 compared to $150!

But yeah, it's not for everyone. I know this is strange, but I actually like packing up stuff real well for shipping. Don't know why, but I enjoy it. lol...

12. TS808

TS808 Member

I've bought shipping boxes from Office Max in the past to use for shipping amps.

13. guitarmind

guitarmind Supporting Member

U-Haul usually has boxes for sale.
    Music stores in my area will charge you for a box, as a lot of them sell amps on the internet and don't want to give their boxes away.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Most large stores have dumpsters dedicated to cardboard. Ive gone behind "Best Buy" and gotten all the boxes/cardboard Ive ever needed. They dont have to be the right size -just cut them to fit. Most importantly I'd double box it. Make a tight fitting box for the amp and a slightly larger one you can put it inside of with plenty of padding. I like to use the tape with the re-enforcement fibers in it.

BTW- UPS charges a small fortune to box stuff up. Bob

15. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

How do you make your own boxes? Just cut the cardborad to size and then tape it together? WHat kind of tape do you use for that?

16. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Get yourself some packing tape. The kind you put on one of those roller things. It's usually wide, clear tape. Get yourself the roller thing too, it comes in handy and makes it much easier to work with packing tape.

17. KazJY

KazJY Member

Just throw on an address label and put it in the mail!

NOT!!!!! (but hey, we've seen it all).

Music store would probably have nice Styrofoam (actually extruded polystyrene) corners for the amp as well - don't forget those)