Need a good distortion pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Scamm, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Scamm

Scamm Member

I'm lookin' for a good , classic sounding distortion pedal . Not a dark metal pedal . Lookin' for suggestions . I play a strat and a les paul classic through a Fender HotRod Deville. Thanks

2. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

Pedals are subjective, but, the FD-2 for that setup is a good bet.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Go to a music store and get a Bad Monkey. Low$$.
    If you ever find something better you will have found a very good OD pedal.

4. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

6. doublea

doublea Member

Fulltone OCD or maybe an Ibanez Tube Screamer should do the trick.

7. oxtone

oxtone Member

Radial Tonebone Classic - has one 12AX7, and cleans up well like a good all tube amp.

I've seen good reviews for the new Maxon tube 880 and 881 distortion pedals. Not heard one yet, but am curious...:p

8. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

IMO: The Reverend Drivetrain II is an absolute killer pedal for the price, and well designed.

9. Scamm

Scamm Member

I had the Emma and I did like it alot but it just wasn't quite bright enough . I think that it was the best distortion pedal I've had yet but a little too dark. The FD-2 ; I've heard nothing but good things about it however nobody has told me that it actually is a distortion pedal . It's hard to try these things out yourself y'know.

10. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

The Fulltone OCD is a good fit if you want a classic OD/distortion with some teeth. If you're looking for smooth the Love Pedal Eternity will do the trick. They're actually overdrive pedals but both offer up plenty of gain edging into distortion territory and both can be plenty bright.

11. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

It's $250, but I just received a new Robert Keely modified TS-808 TubeScreamer w/True Bypass and it's the best OD pedal I've played. Extremely natural overdrive that's crystal clear with no muddines (sp?) at all. Highly recommend!

Rick

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I like my Hotcake for classic tones. Some say it only sounds "great" with EL84 or EL34 amps, but it sounds pretty good through my Champ II w/ 6v6s. Sounds absolutely killer through the Carmen Ghia (EL84).

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

Well hell, I'll add another to the mix - T-Rex Mudhoney. Nothing I've found sounds better when paired with an EL84 amp. :RoCkIn (Sounds good with other amps too, but just magic with my Matchless or Top Hat.)

14. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

You need a good Fuzz Face clone. It defined classic distortion. It sounds great with a Strat and a Les Paul. Many good makers out there to choose from.

Go here to listen to some clips of mine (the Fuzz Haze) with a Strat and a Les Paul. The amp is an 18 watt clone powered by EL84's also.

www.throbak.com

15. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

he's asking for distortion, why are we suggesting tubescreamers, and overdrives.

I dont own one, but have heard a menatone KOB, that sounded like what you are looking for.... might still be too dark though.

I guess i should ask... what is classic distortion?

16. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey Member

+1 on the Robert Keeley modded TS. I just got mine and I'm really happy with it. There are different versions I have the TS9 808 mod plus $159 USD, did not go for the the true bypass (+$50). Gives an added overall crunch to my tone, just set it and play.

Great for playing classic rock.

17. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Howdy,

Try out the Jeckyll & Hyde. It is an overdrive/ distortion pedal by Visual sounds. Current overall rating on Harmony central (30 some odd users) is at a 9.2

Anyway, take care,
    Mass

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

In addition to my earlier suggestions which I still stand by, I also recommend the tonebone classic pedal. Extremely versatile distortion pedal that sounds great driving a clean amp with headroom to spare, or even a solid state, and can get you pretty much any distortion sound you want.

http://www.tonebone.com/tbone_classic.htm

you may also want to look at the tri-mode, which can be somewhat described as a classic on steroids:

http://www.tonebone.com/tbone-trimode.htm