Need a good lead boost solution for already distorted tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thebigcheese, Mar 12, 2015.

1. thebigcheese

thebigcheese Member

For a while I had been using my Mesa Boogie Roadster with a closed-back 2x12 Recto cab. It's got a lot of great distortion tones, but I just cannot get the cleans to be good. That might be partly because the cab is closed back (haven't experimented too much). Anyway, the amp is complicated and a pain in the butt and it pops when switching channels etc. But I really like that it has a solo button that gives me a footswitchable second volume control. So mostly I play at one volume, but when I want to solo and everyone needs to hear me, I hit the button and all of a sudden I am louder.

Now I am using a different amp, my Rockerverb 50 combo, which is a better amp in almost every way. It doesn't quite do what the modern channel on the Roadster does, and it certainly doesn't thud quite like that amp, but it does everything I need an amp to do with only two simple channels. I love it. But I can't figure out a way to get a good solo tone that really stands out. I have tried:
    -BYOC OD2 in front of the amp.
    -Fulltone Full-drive 2 in front of the amp.
    -Way Huge Fat Sandwich in front of the amp.
    -Source Audio Programmable EQ set to a volume and mid boost in front of the amp.
    -Fulltone Secret Freq in front of the amp.

The EQ and the Secret Freq accomplish similar things, which is a bit more gain with a mids boost, but it doesn't cut through any better than with the effects off. I have the gain set fairly high (about 2 o'clock) most of the time with the mids being the most prominent tone out of them for a modern hard rock sort of tone. Short of actually hiring a sound guy that knows when to boost my volume (which won't work since we often play without our amps miked), what are some good solutions for this? I was going to explore sticking the EQ in the FX loop, which might help.

2. bluflames

bluflames Member

I've head this trick from someone but I can't remember where - try putting a volume pedal in your fx loop and set it lower than full tilt, then dial in your sound. When you need the volume boost you just open the taps and voila more volume.

Ernie ball makes an active pickups volume pedal with a 25k pot that would work well in this application

3. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Sticking the EQ in the loop was the first thing I thought of while reading. My guess is that the boost on the Mesa came after the dirt, which is what you'll get by using the loop. You'll definitely get more volume boost placing the boost after dirt.

4. thecornman

thecornman Member

Sounds like you have plenty of gain already so I would suggest just using on of the pedals you already have and turn the gain off, adjust level to boast and tone to taste!

5. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

You'll want what ever boost device you use in the fx loop if the amp is running dirty.
    Clean boost, EQ pedal etc.

Boost before dirt = more dirt
    Boost after dirt = more volume

6. jordane93

jordane93 Member

This. You can also try a treble boost.

7. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I was going to suggest a beano boost, I use them all the time with a JMP. the MXR Micro amp but it boost all freq , when I had one I felt the boosted bottom end can mud it up YMMV

8. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

mxr mccae401 in loop and enjoy

9. Doom Man

Doom Man Member

EQ in the loop, no need to buy anymore pedals for this application.
    Set for a tiny bit more level, something like 2-3dB.
    If necessary, add in 2-3dB of 500Hz and 1K

10. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

this could work well and will "shape" a more cutting sound.....I have always found it to be a tad noisy and I truly believe a clean boost is best. especially the MXR

11. 8len8

8len8 Member

Or use an Unleash.

12. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

those area fortune and are they footswitchable?

13. 8len8

8len8 Member

They are footswitchable.

14. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

still kinda overkill when the guy has a 100 watt amp

15. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Pretty much this. Depends how much gain you are running in the preamp as to whether you'll get a volume boost or not.

I have an Orange AD15 (single channel) which has a pretty similar preamp section to the Rockerverb. With a single coil I have the gain set slightly under half way so I get clean with lighter picking/ neck pup/ volume roll off and a very nice Orange crunch with heavy picking/ bridge PUP. For heavier distortion i push it with an Xotic BB with volume slightly above unity and for solos use an EP Booster which still gives a serious solo volume kick on the above settings. You will probably also have noticed that Oranges are fairly dark so good to have a boost that pushes the upper mids - which the EP does, but a treble booster or EQ will also get you there.
    If you're really pushing the dirty channel preamp on the Rocker then it's going to have to go in the loop

16. ak301

ak301 Member

I've used a Boss LS2 in the loop of all the amps I've had over the past 16 or so years and it's always worked brilliantly as a volume boost
    Try that

17. 8len8

8len8 Member

Not if that 100W amp doesn't have a solo boost function.

18. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Xotic RC Booster. RC stand for "Really Clean". Sounds like what you want... :aok

19. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I second the RC Booster. If you want a more targeted boost, however, you may also consider Bearfoot's Red Rooster Booster (model 1).

20. mikebat

mikebat Member

Any advice that says something in front of the amp will do the trick does not play with the same level of distortion/overdrive that a Roadster/Rockerverb player most probably does. Simply, use one of you eqs in the loop set for a boost.