Need a good luthier for a refret on a '63 Jazzmaster in Wichita, suggestions?

thrashmetl

My father-in-law's '63 Jazzmaster is in dire need of a refret and he's looking for a good luthier in the Wichita area. He's found a place called E.M. Shorts Guitars, any experience? Any other suggestions?

Make sure it's someone who has done refrets on vintage fenders! Back then they slide their frets in. So if someone pulls them out like most frets it will chip the fretboard. I don't know anyone in that area to suggest sorry. Best of luck

Chris Pile

Been doing repair work in Wichita since 1977. Used to have a shop in Miller Music back in the 80's. Now I work from home, so I don't have to endure all the kids hanging out in my shop all day. Take your axe to Mike Metz at Thesis Audio, and he'll contact me. I have done work for lots of players you probably know in Wichita - repair, and even building. Need a reference? Ask Jimmy Hill at Senseney, Sterling Gray out at WSU, Randy Fields, etc. I guarantee my work - you'll love it. Be forewarned - right now I'm pretty booked up. Might be 3 weeks until I can get to it.

Aslan

Gold Supporting Member
I have had all my guitars (Gibson, Fender & PRS) worked on by Brian at EM Shorts (Wichita Band Instruments) and he is excellent. He has done refrets and neck resets and pro set ups for me and I've always been happy. For changing pickups or electrical work Mike Metz is the best there is, touring pro's have sent stuff for him to repair or mod! I've not met Chris Pile but have heard that his work is excellent.

toodawgsranch

Hi guys, I'm the father-in-law with the '63 Jazzmaster. I preciate the replys. My folks bought me the Jazzy when I was 12 years old and I'm sure it needs new frets, nut and a good basic tune-up because nothing has ever been done to it since I received it. I will be contacting EM Shorts and see what they say. I will try to get in contact with you Chris Pile also. I have some other gear that needs some work like my Vox Continental organ that a few keys don't sound off. A lot of my gear needs some tender loving care. It's all been with me forever it seems and nothing is newer than 15 years old. Thanks again for the help.

Trending Topics