Need a good thing in a small package ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by timryan257, Jun 1, 2008.

1. timryan257

timryan257 Supporting Member

Gearheads -- Looking for a backup amp, my main one is a Swart AST. Wonderful amp, and one of the reasons I love it is its small, lightweight cabinet. I've had a tweed Blues Jr for a while, which is ok for size, but just not cutting it for me on sound. Looking for ideas on tube amps in the 15 - 25 watt range, on the Fender end of the sound flavor spectrum as opposed to Marshall, with a 12" speaker and no bigger [or not by much] than a Blues Jr, which is 16 x 18 x 9. Any ideas on something similar to the AST ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

tim

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Gries? He has some amps in the wattage range, not sure about the price range for you though. Actually I think someone is selling a Gries 35 in the emporium right now for a good price.

3. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Check into the Savage Macht 12x. I've used that amp for multiple different styles on many gigs now and that amp rocks. It's loud for it's size and can easily cut it with a loud drummer, especially mic'd. It also takes pedals well and you can find them for a reasonable price used. I have a buddy that has a Blues Jr. and it's not much bigger in size. However, it sounds waaayyy bigger. 6V6 power section. Check it out.

4. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Check out the new Princeton Reverb Reissue coming out to stores in the coming weeks. Only they're 12 watts, but that works for Jim Campilongo.

5. timryan257

yeah, saw that youtube video of Jim Campilongo, its definitely got me thinking about checking on the new PRRI. If only i could be sure that it would make me play like him ... was also thinking about either the PRRI or a silverface PR and putting a 12" in it for a slightly bigger sound.

6. Crikey

Crikey Member

I've read a few claims here on TGP that a speaker swap does wonders for the Blues Junior, making the amp sound bigger and less boxy. I would have thought that comes more from the small cabinet than the speaker, but people say a better speaker makes it a new amp. Speakers mentioned included the Celestion G12H-30 70th Anniversary and the Eminence Wizard.

I don't have any personal experience with the Blues Junior aside from stock ones in stores.

Crikey

7. timryan257

i'm guessing i could make my BJ sound better with a speaker swap and one or more of the many recommended mods, but frankly i just don't have the time or energy to invest in the process, nor the money to experiment and find out it still isn't what i'm looking for ... I've already got an upgraded speaker [Reverend Alltone] and tubes [JJ's], so I think I might be better served by something different. Haven't seen any of the new Princeton Reverbs for sale yet, but a silverface just went for a little over $1000 on ebay, so a new reissue for $700 or $800 is starting to look even more interesting.

8. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

Does it have to be a combo, or would a mini-head like in my sig be ok?

I was thinking that with a head, you could choose a cab to suite the venue. One or two 10's for small places, one or two 12's for larger venues, and maybe a 4-12 for outdoor gigs.

Cheers!

Strat

9. timryan257

stratman_el84 --- what, pray tell, is a sig mini-head ?

and looks like the '65 PR reissue street price is currently set at $900.

10. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

A "mini-head" is an amp head in a mini-head cabinet. The head in my sig (the "sig" or "signature" is the stuff you see at the bottom of my post here..that link is to a picture of the mini-head) is a good example of a "mini-head". It's a 20 watt, 2-EL84, cathode-biased, single-channel amp head that measures 14-1/2"W x 9-3/4"H x 8-1/4"D. It weighs maybe 13 pounds.

I gig with a 5-piece blues band using an open-back 2-12 and that head, and I actually am planning on getting a 1-12 or 1-10 cab because the rig gets too loud in small club settings with the 2-12s.

I'm an older guy at 50, and I got tired of having to haul around big amps and having to put up with the tone changes from having different amps for small clubs, medium clubs, and outdoor gigs along with the hassle of storing all those amps and the expense of keeping them re-tubed and serviced. I wanted one basic small amp that I could just choose a cab to fit the venue while keeping the same basic tone and feel as much as possible.

It's made life a lot simpler, as in when I go play a blues festival or similar venue where they supply a backline, I just request a 4-12 cab and bring my mini-head and pedalboard that I can carry in one hand, and I still have "my" tone and my pedalboard settings stay pretty much the same whether I'm playing a 75-seat club or a blues fest.

Cheers!

Strat

11. fornyeye

fornyeye Member

What about a clark beaufort or victoria 20112? The victoria is 16.5 x 20 x 9.5, and im assuming the clark is similar, as they are both deluxe clones.

12. timryan257

very interesting, had not considered the mini-head and cab idea. Was talking about this problem with a friend today at lunch and he said the same thing --- must be something to it !

13. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Reeves Custom 12 combo. 25 lbs. Excellent cleans. Class A. Plenty of volume and headroom for small to mid-sized gigs.