Need a good thumbpick

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Prodigy, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

...mainly for hybrid picking/country type stuff. Can anybody recommend me a good one, or are they pretty much all the same?

2. DamianL

DamianL Member

Certainly not all the same!! :BITCH

[​IMG]

I have been through all of them recently...but settled on the Dunlop standard thumbpick..ideally in the shell colour...but white will do in a pinch

My advice is to go to the store with the biggest selection and try some out...it really is the only way of telling...

For example some people swear by Fred Kelly picks and they are quality items but felt totally wrong...

Don't forget, you can shape the pick to the ideal size by sanding down...so the length shouldn't be the main issue...I like a nice sharpish point for example and can easily make this happen..

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I tried a variety of thumb picks, and never got to where I liked using them. You can use regular pick and fingers. There are plenty of guys who go either way, so it really depends on what you get used to. Just saying you don't have to get into a thumbpick to do that style. Either way you go, good luck.

4. K-man

K-man Member

5. armando

armando Member

I agree about the Fred Kelly picks, to me they felt wrong and didn't give the tone I was after. Interestingly, Tommy Emmanuel tried the Kelly picks, and didn't like them as well. The good ol' Dunlop is still the best.

6. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

Isn't the pick on the right for your finger?

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

When I was a thumbpick user, I swore by National mediums. I've since started preferring the control I get in not using one.

Bryan

8. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Bought a Herco...Tried it for a bit, but it's hard to not let it dig in too far where it hits the guitar between the pickups sometimes....Think I might stick with the thumb for now! Thanks

9. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Despite the previous comments, I've used the Fred Kelly slick picks exclusively for about 10 years now ... anything else feels uncomfortable.

I like them because it's very fluid when moving from thumb and fingers into a flatpicking line.

10. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

the bumble bee is cool looking, tends to rotate on me while I am playing and drives me nuts, they say it can be superglued in place, but prefer the fred kelly speed pick, really does country well IMO, you can cut it shorter, but the length never bothers me.

the fred kelly speed pick is amazing IMO, usually a thumb pick limits my playing, but the speed pick I find actually expands it in ways that no other pick does.

[​IMG]

heavier the better IMO, the lighter ones tend to not stay on the thumb.