Need a grab-n-go amp.

scott58

Or bean bean into transtube effects return (if it has one)?

tried it into the fx return. Doesn't sound to good. For me the POD's into the class A tube amp make s the tone. Gives it an organic element I've always liked. Just don't want to carry it all.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
This is exactly what the Katana was made for, but if you want the closest thing without it being a Katana, the Blackstar TVP 60 should do the job.

toomanyamps

tried it into the fx return. Doesn't sound to good. For me the POD's into the class A tube amp make s the tone. Gives it an organic element I've always liked. Just don't want to carry it all.
A Fender Pro Junior, tiny , light, and loud enough to be heard with a drummer at a jam.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Yes, but is is too big to be considered "grab and go".
Yeah, anything significantly over 35 lbs. really doesn't say "grab and go" to me anymore. That number would have been higher in my younger days, but unless I'm carting around a full kit for a gig, my aging back and shoulders want something lighter and smaller as a "grab and go". :)

Moe45673

Yeah, anything significantly over 35 lbs. really doesn't say "grab and go" to me anymore. That number would have been higher in my younger days, but unless I'm carting around a full kit for a gig, my aging back and shoulders want something lighter and smaller as a "grab and go". :)
I'm still a fan of the Roland Cube 60 (the one from 10 years ago). It sounds pretty friggin good and is my main amp nowadays. My only complaint with it is no FX loop.

I dunno what Roland changed after the 60 (80x, 80xl, etc) but they sure never recaptured the magic they bottled in the 60.

ToneDeVille

My grab n go amp is a Peavey Classic 30 - I recently gave it an amber shellac treatment too! Now the mojo factor is even higher.

KenG

I'm still a fan of the Roland Cube 60 (the one from 10 years ago). It sounds pretty friggin good and is my main amp nowadays. My only complaint with it is no FX loop.

I dunno what Roland changed after the 60 (80x, 80xl, etc) but they sure never recaptured the magic they bottled in the 60.

The originall Cubes from the 80s were great. Orange tolex, solid state but still good OD and they could keep up. I used one with my 3 piece band jamming in barracks back in '81 or so with my Peavey T60! I liked them much more than the Cubes series that came out later.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
Sometimes I use a Mesa Express 5:25 (over your budget) or a Mesa Studio 22 (I paid $450 for it) as a grab and go amp. Sometimes I use my Princeton Reverb (over your budget) with a pedal. To be honest, the PR and pedal is just as "grab and go" as the Mesa's considering that I bring the channel footswitch for those amps with me anyway. Plus, I get to choose between more styles of OD or distortion that I can with the Mesas.

These amps aren't all really in your budget, my point is that you shouldn't rule out a small single channel amp with an OD or distortion pedal.

Graham G

Agree 200%,my last Cube 60 died 3 years ago & i'm still struggling to replace it/them,i used 2.

Moe45673

The originall Cubes from the 80s were great. Orange tolex, solid state but still good OD and they could keep up. I used one with my 3 piece band jamming in barracks back in '81 or so with my Peavey T60! I liked them much more than the Cubes series that came out later.

I was speaking of the Cubes that came out later :p From my understanding, arent the Blues Cubes of today the true successors of the orange 80s ones?

scott58

Long story short. Plugged into a lot of amps today. Ended up going home with a used Ltd edition Super Champ X2 in the reddish tolex and tan grill cloth. Played it against a new standard one and the greenback makes a pretty big difference. A bit more volume and pretty dynamic. It had the widest range of voices over the music I'll be playing. It's light enough and it's pretty good looking. Really like the Princeton settings.

also picked up a Rajun Cajun 10" speaker to swap out in my Blue Marvel cab on the Special 6.

normally I'd take off work after something like this, but I have a few time sensitive projects that can't wait. But I'll have a 3 day weekend to noodle around.

Top Bottom