Need a gritty, grainy overdrive...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtw, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jtw

jtw Member

What overdrive would you guys suggest to be used with a Matchless? Title says it all: gritty and grainy, but in a musical way.

Edited to add: No TS type pedals please, I've got that covered for the moment. Thanks guys.

2. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Pretty much the Hotcake set from about 10:30 to 1:00 on the gain knob will get you there. Stock version.

Bob

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

BJF Emerald Green, gritty and grainy in a very musical way and capable of the most glorious harmonic feedback. Pefect for Vox style amps.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

I like to use my Sun Lion fuzz with the vol knob rolled back, or, the Beano boost side. I find the NKT275 trannies to be perfectly gritty and grainy!

Yr Blues likes this.
  5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

BJF Emerald Green, Gritty Grainy Saucy. Awesome. Plays exceptionally well with others.

also check out the Barber Burn Unit EQ.

6. dave s

dave s Member

JTW,

getting pedals to 'play nice' with a matchless is not a one-and-done deal, as you might have already learned. Maybe if you throw out a couple of known tones you are trying to approximate, you might get closer to what will REALLY work for you.

Here are some pedals (OD and others) that work well with my Clubman rig as well as with the new VOX AC30CC2 I just got. Because of the similar behavior of both amps, the pedals I currently use do fairly well and are pretty interchangeable across amps.

Gitty, grainy? Not sure exactly what pedals will do that but here are the dirt pedals in front of my Matchless and VOX amps:

Xotic RC and AC Booster pedals for clean boost, (RC) and a bit of dirt, compression (AC). Both pedals work wonderfully with the volume knob on my guitars. I play single coil guitars.

More gain: MI Audio Crunch Box. Actually, I had a Fulltone OCD which was more grainly/grindy but went with the smoother Crunch Box.

FoxRox ZIM: Because of the versatility of this pedal and the dual channels, the ZIM was a really good fit for the Matchless.

Fuzz: Analogman Sunface Fuzz. Basic model, but sounds killer full on or with the guitar volume rolled back significantly.

dave

7. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Try the old MXR Distortion + I like these a lot and they're grainy and smooth!

8. acemcguire

acemcguire Member

on the cheap side, Rocktron Austin Gold is pretty good - especially for the price.

9. jtw

jtw Member

thanks guys, still looking to augment my OD collection. not really sure what tones to reference, as it's kind of a sound in my head right now.

Is there something sonically like the RC booster, but with more overdrive on tap?

10. erksin

erksin Member

The grittiest OD I ever tried was a Red Llama clone (Pharaoah Rodeo Drive) - maybe look into one of those..? I'm not endorsing the Pharaoh box though - they were a huge PITA to deal with...

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I actually think the Timmy is a good Gritty and Grainy OD.

12. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

That's a GREAT sound (I dig your taste in the DGTM too!).

I have a germ. Lovepedal Dragon that can be set up like a gritty overdrive. It's perfect for that, and the fuzz thing too..

13. dave s

dave s Member

The AC Booster. As mentioned, both the RC and AC Booster pedals work great with my Clubman rig.

dave

14. Franklin

Franklin Member

:BEER

15. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I would second the EGDM but definitely check out the Clark/Barber Gainster.

16. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

SKREDDY SCREWDRIVER

NO question.

17. jtw

jtw Member

Thanks for all the direction guys, you've defiinitely given me a lot of choices to research.

I've been trying to dig up some info on the Lovepedal White Dragon and am coming up a bit short. Phil M or anyone else that has experience with these, can you tell me a little bit more about the pedal? I see that it is blendable between a fuzz and an od (which i really like the sound of). how much gain is on tap? is there a significant volume increase when it's clicked on? Are there different versions of this pedal available?

Thanks to all, and keep the suggestions coming!

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd suggest a Boss BD-2 or a pedal in that vein. Very gritty and i find it quite useable. I'm sure other versions with higher quality parts sound better, but this is a great lil acquired taste that just keeps me coming back!

19. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Timmy

20. radcliff

radcliff Member

:RoCkIn