Need a Guitar for Praise and Worship Music...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shades of Blue, Oct 14, 2019.

1. slowburn

slowburn Member

I use a grosh for P&W with three single coils and never have a problem with it sounding thin. If you set your pedals/amps (helix patches) properly, I honestly don’t think it matters much, I’ve heard recordings and my guitar sounds just fine in the mix. I suggest you wait until you actually start playing with the band, and see how your gear fits in with the other instruments (other guitars?) and then take it from there.

2. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

If you’re looking for chime, your Strat will deliver that in spades. If you want extra beef from the bridge pickup, modify the second tone control so it only affects the bridge pickup. That’ll give you some extra mass.

If that isn’t enough, get a simple analog delay (I use the Carbon Copy Mini) and use it for “the Matt Scofield fat Strat sound.” You can easily find it online.

It looks like you barely have your delay on but it’s highly effective at fattening up those single coils.

3. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

Just buy a guitar of your liking, put it on a stand in the corner... on your knees... and start your praise and worship... nothin' wrong with that! It's a harmless pastime ;-) (with hearing celestial music in your head)

4. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

I actually may mod my Strat, but I really love everything about it except for the bridge pickup. It isn't wound hotter than the other pickups, so it sounds very weak and lower in output. I do have the tone knob wired to it, so it is definitely a possibility.

I do have a Starla SE on pre-order, but it isn't due until January and I got it for cheaper than a MIM Tele. I just need to throw a Bigsby on it and done. I'll use the Strat and SC245 until I get the Starla in. Another thing I failed to mention is that I just want some variety.

5. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Have been doing P&W for 15 years - pretty much any guitar works. EQ is much more of a factor than the guitar, IMO/FWIW.

6. lost sailor

lost sailor Member

I used a variety of guitars when I played on a praise team. It doesn't matter as long as you are making
    a joyful noise. Just be part of the team and not the "star".

7. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

The two dudes that play at our Church, one uses a Gretsch and other a Duesenberg. They both get some really chimy clean tones with beautiful reverb (Strymon Blue Sky). The Gretsch guy loves his TV Jones pickups so much he now has them in a custom Fender Tele with Bigsby (it's gorgeous).

8. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Member

Yep a Les Paul would be perfect, among others. Blend the bridge with the neck, roll the volume down for some nice bright cleans. Hopefully, you don't have to play through a PA that sounds like junk.

I don't think you'll find much with a Bigsby for under $800.

9. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Supporting Member

A good friend of mine uses almost exclusively MM Axis or MM EVH signatures. Works well for him.

10. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I got a SC245 - like what you said it sounds muddy. The guitar is a very well made and versatile guitar. I would suggest to get a good pickup. I got Bareknuckle Mules in mine - really a big upgrade. Don't have to buy a new guitar IMHO.

11. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Member

Is it circumcised?

12. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

There are a couple of core Starla's on the Emporium right now in your price range.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  13. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    You might try a different set of pickups in either your PRS or your LP, and possibly a new wiring harness as well.
    You already have a Starla on order, but the problem I am reading is about your present two single cuts not sounding clear enough.

Also, I did P&W at one time and just brought a Les Paul and a small Marshall amp with some effects.
    I was able to get the sound they desired and sit nicely in the mix. There is a lot of possible dial bending that can be done to bring your sound into focus for what they desire by you and at the mixing desk.

At least trying to get new pickups into one of your current guitars will be less expensive then getting another guitar, and you will be improving guitars you are not totally satisfied with. This seems to me to be the logical way to approach your situation.
    Of course, as with everything, ymmv :)

Shades of Blue likes this.
  14. fair.child

fair.child Member

I play Ibanez AT for P&W band with Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ and JCM800. If we play softer set like Passion/UNITED then I'll use the EBMM JP15/6. It's the matter of you bringing people to Jesus, not the gear my friend. Listen what your heart says.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  15. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

I'll take another look. Last time I looked, the ones in the Emporium were in pretty rough shape.

16. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

I think ideally, I need a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. Or just something thinner in the neck than a humbucker. I've never been a neck humbucker guy. The more I think about this, the more I wonder if I need a Thinline Tele with Bigsby.

17. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

What about a Fender Mustang?

18. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

The neck only tone of a Strat can get you there, most likely? And set your Strat trem to float like a pillow, that should get you enough chime when you warble.

19. radiolab

radiolab Member

I’m sure this has been said already but literally any guitar.

ChrisP likes this.
  20. TalismanRich

TalismanRich Member

Maybe its not the guitar. What amp are you using? That will change things at least as much as the guitar.