Need A Help About Axess Bs-2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BAILEY ROSE, Sep 1, 2005.

1. BAILEY ROSE

BAILEY ROSE Guest

Yesterday I'v Order the bs-2 from axess.

I have 6 pedals in my pedal board follow that order:
    tonebone classic-tonebone hotbritish-zoom tm-02 -ibanez tube king-boss dc-3 - boss dd-20.

Where do i put the bs-2 ?
    First in the chain before all the pedals or last?
    Or maybe somewhere between the pedals?

thnx guys for your help:dude

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

you should place it first.

However, I'm not sure if you actually need the bs-2, as your boss pedals are already buffers

3. BAILEY ROSE

BAILEY ROSE Guest

Hmmm...
    but 6 pedals , im sure my signal is not like its meant to be.
    the dd-20 and dc-3 bufferd??? what do you mean?

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

You may or may not even notice a difference with your setup.

Try it in every location and leave it where it sounds best. Also try inverting the signal to see if you hear a difference with that. If you don't notice any differences, you may as well get it out of your signal path.

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

What do you expect the buffer to do for your tone? What you you mean by "my signal is not like its meant to be"?

Six pedals in the chain will probably color tone to some degree, even when they're all disengaged. That doesn't necessarily mean that it sounds worse, just different.

The DD20 and DC3 have circuits that similar to that of the BS-2 to prevent electrical loading of stuff farther down your signal chain (e.g., long cables or non-buffered fX). Their buffers might not be as transparent as the Axxess but they do pretty much the same thing.

6. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

The other posters all make valid points. But the simple answer, in my experience, is that a buffer of the quality of the Axess unit will make your guitar sound (when plugged into your pedalboard) much closer to the way it sounds when plugged directly into your amp.

I have found that a higher quality buffer will restore the clarity lost by a chain of pedals without altering the "feel". For example, some lower quality buffers, to me, add a "hardness" to the sound that is beyond simply altering the tonal quality of the basic guitar-amp sound.

Where it should be in the chain, as others have already said, is probably best determined through experimentation.

Terry

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I was under the impression that the BS-2 is most effective if it is the only buffer in the chain. It's only doing it's job until the signal from it hits the next buffered device... then the signal is colored by that buffer... and so on. So if you put the BS-2 in front of a really bad buffered effect, it's not going to help you.

-Ben

8. BAILEY ROSE

BAILEY ROSE Guest

Is the tonebone bad buffer?

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Exactly. To put a Boss effect after the BS-2 would negate its effect. I've not had one Boss pedal I liked in a traditional pedalboard. They always cut some signal from the direct tone, and not in a good way. IMHO, I'd use all TB pedals if possible, and put the BS-2 after everything for the long runs back to the amp if it's twenty feet or more. I don't like any OD (pedal) sounds after a buffered signal. To me, they all sound better before buffer.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The TBs (tonebones) are TB (true bypass), so no buffer built in them.

What you may want to do, in order to ensure that your BS-2 is not a waste of your valuable cash, is buy a true bypass looper (www.loooper.com or www.pacificustompedals.com), stick your ibanez and boss pedals in there, and voila! a perfect TB signal. Plus ti has the added bonus of giving you almost perfectly your guitar -> amp tone back.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Huh- I haven't put my BS-2 after my OD's... I'll have to try that. Although, the difference between 'no BS-2' and 'BS-2 before all pedals' was a big difference and a good one... and I simply saw an improvement with my OD boxes... I could finally turn the tone / treble down a skosh on all those.

I've got 11 pedals, 10 are true bypass (yes, even the Reeza was modded by Jan at EMMA), and I've got a Loooper on the way for my Boss DD-6. Right now, the BS-2 is doing a great job though, and a very noticable one, maintaining the signal through the feet and feet of cable and circutry before the DD-6, which doesn't have a bad buffer on it's own anyway.

-Ben

12. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Ben, I can certainly see an improvement in your bypassed tone with the BS-2 pre-effect stomp boxes, but I wasn't aware folks were getting better (pedal) OD sounds post-buffer. Must be pedal-dependent issues I'm having, but I've never owned the BS-2. Just have some (limited) experience with buffered-bypass pedals like the Jekyl and Hyde, Drivetrain, Boss, Voodoo-1, etc. I use the Voodoo-1 as my last pedal because it has a really great tonal effect. I guess the Voodoo works as my buffer.

13. BAILEY ROSE

BAILEY ROSE Guest

I dont really have a space for another pedal in my pedalboard
    even the bs-2 is a problem for placing.
    i think i hve only 2 options:
    put it before the tonebons in the begining of the chain or last after the delays.

btw i plug it to my orange rocker 30

14. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

This is what I do. However, the 2 Looopers I own do not provide the same clarity I achieve by plugging the guitar directly into the amp with nothing in between. For me, the Lehle D. Loop and the Axess GRX-4 switchers get the closest to this ideal, but even those 2 devices seem to require a buffer to provide a very transparent, bypassed tone. Obviously, this may have something to do with the pedals in my system. However, I have compared the sound of guitar-amp against the sound of guitar-Loooper-amp and, even with nothing plugged into the Loooper, its presence in the signal chain resulted in a loss of clarity.

Looopers are still great little boxes and are an excellent value but they do not work miracles without, as you said, also using a buffer like the BS-2.

Terry