Need a killer distortion pedal for my Marshall 2601x

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cg, Jul 12, 2006.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Looking for a killer distortion pedal for my 2601X. I like to run the amp a little over 1/2 way up. Tones I love include The Black Crowes, Zep, AC/DC, etc. I am a little overwhelmed by all of the pedals out there. Where do I begin? The MI Crunch Box looks promising.

2. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

If those are the tones that you are after then I would first recommend a transistor based overdrive or distortion box. This will help narrow the field a bit. Germanium based pedals are preferred by many but silicon based distortion boxes can also produce the goods. The vast majority of transistor based distortion boxes are going to be some variation of a Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, Tonebender, Color Sound Overdriver, or Big Muff. The Big Muff is going to excel more at the fuzz tones than straight distortion or overdrive.

All of the clips on my sight are recorded with a Marshall 1974x clone with a stock Gibson 2004 Reissue Goldtop. The 1974x is in the same ball park as your amp tonally. Check out the clips. It will give you an idea of what to expect from some of the classic transistor based circuits. www.throbak.com

3. cg

4. pepperco

pepperco Member

I have a 2061x, and I am able to get the Crowes / ACDC / Zep
    sounds without a pedal.....halfway up. Do you need a "distortion"
    pedal? I would guess no. Maybe an overdrive or a clean boost.

Very important, what guitar / pickups and speakers are you
    using? I can make an informed recommendation then.

5. what?

what? Member

is it 2061x?since it's a 20 watt amp and you're running it quite hot already I would suggesr pedal with not-so high gain and clarity (i.e. no wet mids like TS), I would think that since your amp has a quite low clean headroom a high gain pedal like mi audio CB would muddied everything...

You might want to try the mosferatu 4 knobs, it's my favourite pedal, and gives a very nice crunch, no liquid sustain here. I think it would fit your needs perfectly from what you describe, black crowes, zep, AC/DC it's all there with the right guitar. I've got a 1962 bluesbreaker reissue and love the mos through it with a strat.

6. cg

I can almost get what I am looking for with just the amp. I'd like to have the ability to take it up a notch or two. I wish I still had my Klon. I want something that will give me a little more low end thump.

I have a Grosh Retro Classic with fralins and an Historic SG with burstbuckers.

7. pepperco

pepperco Member

My klon was not the best with the 2061 and humbuckers.
    Not a great fit at all.....sorry but I have no reccomendation yet.
    I would say try a bunch of pedals, till you find the right flavor.
    So many great choices, I do not feel the need at all for
    more gain from my 2061. Its all right there. Although I
    do run a Blackstone for single note gainy solo's. (perfect)
    Also a Sex Drive for clean boost, and a couple of Germ fuzzes
    up front for going nuts.

Are you running the
    amps tone conntrol way up? On the lead channel?

8. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Fulltone soulbender that nails Zep. It's considered a Fuzz, but it has more of a grind than say the Sunface (which is smoother).

9. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

I run mine volume 8 and tone 8. ACDC and Led Zep in the box.

If you want a bit more dirt I swear by the Hotcake. Loves the 2061x and it'll do mild to fuzz.

The pickups do make a difference. I run a Custom LP with a JB in the Bridge and an old Tokai LP with a Suhr SSH+ (I think). Both of these read about 17K and it seems to do the trick.

The lower output pups , Fralin and Suhr that I have in other guitars just don't do it.

10. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

If you're looking for just a little more drive then a Love Pedal COT-50 blue might be just the thing. From what I understand the blue LED version has a stronger bass response than the red.

11. rockster12

rockster12 Member

my 2061x with a klon and my les paul standard just kill and my strat with a fulltone 69 into the 2061 is awesome as well.

12. cg

Which input do you plug into?

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have a 2061X and love it. I was very surprised that the Zendrive sounded very good with this amp. Conventional wisdom is that the Zendrive is the mate for a Fender amp to get close to the Dumble tone. But with this little British amp the Zendrive sounds insanely cool, not like a Dumble, but very unique. You should give it a try.

14. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Out of all the dirt boxes I've tried, boutique and not, the cheap Danelectro Fab Distortion is my favorite. I'm sure it'll get passed over because it only costs $15 and it doesn't have the sex appeal of the boutique stuff, but at $15 you don't have much to lose by trying one. I bought it partly because I thought the clips on the Dano website sounded great, and partly as a joke, and now it's the only distortion on my board.