Need a less loud amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by valentine, Dec 29, 2005.

1. valentine

valentine Member

Hi! I'm new to this forum, but have been here reading your posts for awhile. I play a -72 super reverb or a -62 bassman with 2x12" cab. Nowadays we play alot of smaller places and both my amps are too loud for these. I wonder if someone could help me out? I've been looking at the THD Bivalve, which seems like a nice amp with builtin attenuator, or mabe a Tone King imperial? Read alot about you guys talking about Zinkys mabe that's an option?
    I play mainly oldschool country/rock'n'roll/rockabilly. Lot of fingerpickin'. I never owned a Class A amp and are curious about them.

Thanks, Johnny

2. B Vance

B Vance Member

Look into Dr Z amps for the country/rock/rockabilly style. He makes several lower wattage amps (20 watt range) great for gigging. Tough to beat for the price, tone and manufacturing quality. Lots of different models too. Run a search here on the GP for Dr Z and you'll keep busy for a few days. Also look into the 65 London, 18watt amp. Check out amps with half power options too like Bad Cats. That way you can get a 30 watt amp, run it at 15 watts for smaller gigs and if you need the extra power, you can get it if you want. Just some suggestions.

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I can sympathize. Love the SR, but just can't use that size and volume. My amps now range from 16 watt (Gibson GA-40), throught the 22 watt DR territory, into medium tweed wattage (35 watts). Lots of great sound and plenty of volume in this range. The DR in particular, assuming you have an efficient speaker in there, is extremely versatile. Clean and spanky if you want that, most-pleasing OD too at less than earbleed volumes.

The 20 watt tone kings sound really fine. Heard a Carr Mercury the other night which also sounded quite good on a loud stage. I'm also real curious about the Victoria small Victorilux, Gries blackface inspired amps, and Juke amps. Gary C. has a Juke 210 up on ebay now. 35 watts with pentode and ultrilinear switch too. Would that my budget matched my curiosity!

4. Luke V

Luke V Member

Check out Orange amps. The newer series have a great master volume. The amp keep its character and doesn't sound buzzy/fizzy, even at extreme settings.

5. straightblues

straightblues Member

I had a Bivalve (I sold it last year) and you can get a lot of tones from it. But I would say it really excells at more gainy Marshall type tone rather than Fender type tones. Yes you can make it sound Fendery but it is not its natural state.

I would second the Dr. Z. The Carmen Ghia excells at the tones you are going for. I just recently bought one and I am really enjoying it. It is a little loud even though it is 18 watts. However, it takes pedals very well. Even though I don't usually use pedals, I will use them with the Carmen Ghia for small gigs.

You should also look into a Fender black face era Deluxe. I have a 1964 Deluxe (non-reverb) which is great for the tones you are after. The non-reverb models sound as good if not better than the reverb models and sell for hundreds of dollars less than the reverb models. You should be able to buy a non-reverb model for $1,000 or less.

I don't have a Tone King and I haven't played through one so I can't offer you much help on that one. Good luck in you tone quest.

6. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

The Bivalve is too loud to get any good crunch. The attenuator isn't that great on that amp either.

When it comes to keeping the volume reasonable the Tomcat works better than any amp I've tried. Procos is selling one in the emporium, cheap too.

7. j37nm

j37nm Member

Check out the mesa boogie nomad. You can get the fender clean tone with channel one (green - clean). If you want a little grit, just flip the switch to pushed. There are 2 more channels for versatility.

The nomad has a master volume. So, you can get nice (decent) sounds at reasonable volumes. It has all the gain you want, but it is a smooth gain. Great for rock, blues, country. You can get them on ebay for like $500 and less.

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

sounds like you need a Deluxe Reverb, or boutique equivalent (Allen, Carr, Tone King, etc)

BTW, I owned a Tone King Imperial. GREAT sounding Fender amp, I'm very curious about the new 2x6V6 Meteor II.....by all accounts it's Mark's best effort yet.

9. B Vance

B Vance Member

Also look at Chicago Blues Box Kingston amps. Deluxe Reverb equivalent, which I tend to like a bit more than the Carrs.

10. KenSea

KenSea Member

I think the Tone Kings are great, a little big in size.Great sounding amps. I looked hard a the Meteor but bought the Carr Rambler...good luck!

11. redjet55

redjet55 Member

if you’re happy with your current amps except for the volume just get an attenuator, hot plate, mass etc.

If you’re looking for a change all the above options apply.

12. Ogre

Ogre Member

65 London amp is 18 watts, 2 distinct channels(non-switchable) and gives up the goods at reasonable volume levels. I use a DRRI with a very efficient Altec 417, and am very happy with it for smaller to medium sized rooms.

13. valentine

valentine Member

Thanks for all your advice. I have alot to look for. The Carmen Ghia sounds intressting. Tone king too but they are quite pricy aren't they?
    Mabe I should stick with Fender so if anyone knows a blackface deluxe for sale (old one,don't need reverb) I would be glad to have a PM about that.

Johnny

14. sus4

sus4 Member

I think a 5E3 would be good for that. They sound pretty fat and have great dynamics. You could also look at Princetons. I play a Li'l Dawg Champster...it's a 1x12" 5F1 tweed champ (class A, no 'verb)...I wonder if he'd ship to Europe. I know he sent an amp to Australia before.

Daniel

15. valentine

valentine Member

There's a Tone King Comet 20 on Ebay, anyone knows more aout them? Are they loud like a deluxe?
    Otherwise I'm still curious about the Bivalve. If anyone knows one for sale I'd be intressted.

Thanks, Johnny

16. red firebird

red firebird Guest

A very interesting option I tried recently is the GT Soul o One with its mono tube circuit that can use many different ones. Can do many tones and wattages depending on what you put in it.

17. ahab

ahab Member

Don't buy anything untill you check out a tophat club amp. They are totally amazing and are built like tanks.
    -Ahab

18. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

If you are thinking of trying a Class A "cathode biased" amp then I would HIGHLY recommend that you look into the Bad Cat Cub II R.

Absolutely KILLER tones and amazing harmonic complexity. Sounds stellar with single coils and humbuckers. Works great with pedals. 15 watts> 1x12 combo> Reverb> Master Volume> Focused/Spectrum Modes> 4, 8, 16 ohm switch. Incredible build quality and styling.
    I really LOVE my Cub II R! Just a Great Amp IMO!:dude