Need a light, cheap 1 x 12 (or maybe 1 x 10?) cab that is "cheap"

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
It has been a LONG time since I was looking fro a guitar cab..but since I just got my little Boogie mini-rec, I am on the hunt. I am not paying freaking $450 for a 1 x 12 cab as that just seems RIDICUOLOUS..!! But seriously fellas, there has got to be a "crowd favorite" in this area..!

I need light, as I am old, fat, and not getting around very good these days, and it would amazing if it actually sounded good..!

What do you guys recommend? What do you "swear by"..?

It doesn't even have ot be a 12"..I never thought I would like 10's until I had a few of the Alto 110a's and I thought they sounded better than the 12's..

So anyway..I would really like to hear what you guys like these days..

If I was playing out much, which I am not, I would play 80's Hair Metal covers..as it is, I only really go to a couple of different guys practice places and jam..but I need light..the old Marshall 2 X 12 I have weighs like 70 pounds and I just can't do it..

Thanks you guys!

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
thank you for that link sir! Those are the same speakers that are in my Marshall cab I think..

I need to start watching all the emporiums!

voxylady

If you're looking for light, have you thought about pine cabs? I just ordered one from a builder on reverb.com. It's a pretty good sized 1x12 and the builder told me it's about 15 pounds unloaded. Plus, pine cabs do seem to be cheaper on average than birch-ply.

kiki_90291

Silver Supporting Member
I spent the money on a Mesa Mini Rec cab, recognizing that it was absurdly expensive for what it was, but it is about as light and compact as you can get for a 1x12 with a decent speaker in it. You can certainly get cheaper with very good quality (e.g., Avatar), but I think it's tough to get something as compact and light . . . .

I considered getting an EarCandy "Mr. Watt" 1x8 cab for super portability. the demos sound decent, but I couldn't find anyone who has actually used one to get more feedback and at the time Earcandy was still recovering from some customer service issues. They have stock on reverb.com now, so might be more reliable than when you had to custom order and that "Mr. Watts" is pretty inexpensive - might be worth taking a chance.

jtbadge

I used a LopoLine 1x12 with my old Tweaker head that might be perfect. That was about the most compact cabinet I have seen. And super light. They got bought out by MojoTone who axed most of the product lineup, unfortunately.

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
There is only (1) 8-ohm and (1) 4-ohm speaker out on the back of the little amp..

the Jet City is 16-ohms..that is "bad" right?

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
This weekend, I am going to approach the owner of the music store where I got my boogie mini-rec and see what he will do for a trade with my Marshall 2X12..if there is not much of a difference, I will get one of the little mini-rec cabs..otherwise, I am not sure what to pursue..seems like a LOT of the smaller, less expensive cabs are 16-ohms..

jerryfan6

Gold Supporting Member
Used Avatar is the way to go. I'm really shocked at how light mine is, especially considering how big it is.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
Used Avatar is the way to go. I'm really shocked at how light mine is, especially considering how big it is.

Yep - incredibly light, and great (open back) tone from my Avatar 1x12 w/ celestion gold. When bandmates lift it they can't believe how light it is.

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
Got a line on a mini-rec cab!! W00t..! Now to see if I can make the trade for another from the music store and have a "stack"..!! hahahaha If I need the 2nd cab, it is there and if not, then only 30# to carry one, with the boogie in it's carry bag slung on a shoulder with the pedals/cables in the gig bag with the geetar on my back!!

LIGHT and EASY fellas..! That is the name of the game! :)

Hell, I am not even sure what speakers are in the mini-rec cabs?!? But if it sounds good, who cares, right?

Jimmy3Fingers

Light, cheap...good. Void-free, birch-ply construction

Tweaker 1x12 with 70th Anniversary G12H30...got mine for $199.

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
the Egnator cab is another one that is 16-ohms.. :(

but thank you very much for your time! I have inundated myself with all things cab related the past 24 hours and have learned quite a bit..!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom