Need a lighter tube combo amp w/12" speaker for pedals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oxtone, Aug 19, 2019.

1. DonP

DonP Member

I'd say this too but the OP seems to be a Fender type.

I'd also say the Monoprice 15 for cheap, but it is a Marshall flavor as well.

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

Guys - thanks for all your suggestions - will consider them all.
    Today I tried a new Fender Princeton Reverb in Burgundy, which sounded really good, and seems plenty loud
    for a full band situation. I also tried the Hot Rod Deluxe IV, which had a decent clean tone, but not with the
    sparkle of the Princeton. But, the new Princeton was $1099 at GC, and the Hot Rod Deluxe IV was $749.
    So, I'll think all this over. I've also thought about putting a NEO speaker in the Classic 30, to reduce weight.

gght likes this.
  3. White Limo

White Limo Member

DV Mark has made some some extremely light tube amps you may look in to.

I would also think hard about a Quilter combo. Under 30lbs, light, designed to take pedals.

4. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

Neither a Princeton or a Hot Rod Deluxe will be any help in your situation.
    The HRD weighs more than your Classic 30. The Princeton is about 5 lbs less.

Consider a Pro Junior, about 20 lbs and should be loud enough as long as your band isn't crazy loud.

Peppy and Daytona57 like this.
  5. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

I gig every week with a modded 5e3 clone I picked up used for cheap (old Weber kit I think) tweed covered pine cab w/Celestion G12M 65w Creamback. Light, portable, awesome pedal platform and great tone which left me no reason not to sell my expensive boutique combos. There are great/cheap options out there but it really depends on your tone needs