Need A Little Help Choosing A Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mspizziri, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

Well I've checked all the clips and read all the reviews, but I am still trying to make a final decision on a distortion pedal.

I have a Mesa DC-2 1x12 combo, and have a DLS on it's way. I plan to use the DLS for a more classic rock/overdrive Marshall sound, but I still need something for a more modern Mesa like high gain sound.
    I like a nice tight crunch, good punch on the bottom end and not too much fizz. I usually keep my mids low, but not gone all together.

I have norrowed it down to the following, because I only have around $120 to play with

MI Audio Crunch Box
    MI Audio Tube Zone
    Barber Dirty Bomb

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on which pedal will get the tone as well as be a nice contrast to the DLS
    If you have another pedal please feel free to mention it as well and make things even harder ;)

2. funkycam

funkycam Member

crunchbox has tight lows, but tons of mids.

3. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

Does it make any difference if you have the mids on your amp channel set low?

4. Ken

Ken Member

I just got the Suhr Riot and it works really well with my DSL. I just spent about 20 minutes with it, right off the ups truck. It has a very smooth Distortion and plenty of dynamics.

5. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

I am so tempted by the riot, it's just a bit out of my budget after getting the DLS and double the price of the other pedals