Need a low power light weight all tube "travel" amp Carr Swart what else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pageburst, Oct 5, 2008.

1. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

I need a good grab-n-go travel amp: It's gotta be all tubes and under 35 lbs. I'm considering the following

Carr Mercury
    Carr Raleigh
    Swart 6v6se
    Swart Space Tone Reverb

I liked the Carr Raleigh demo clips I heard most with the Space Tone a close second.

Any thoughts on the above amps or alternatives are most welcome.

2. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I have the Mercury and love it. I had the 6v6se and loved it through a cab, but sold it because of the little speaker. Swart just unveiled a 12" 6v6se...man-oh-man.

You can add Cornford Harlequin to your list too. Also Gries and Star Nova (Mark Sampson).

3. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I would definitely check out that new Swart Space Tone Reverb Tweed...5 watts but with a 12" speaker and tube reverb and what seems like more gain than the original 6v6se. I have the little 6v6se with the 8" speaker and it is great but there are moments when I would like a bigger speaker for more low end response. It does have a great sound to it, though, and it is certainly quite portable. It sounds huge especially when you consider how small it is...the new STR Tweed would definitely be bigger and heavier but certainly within your stated weight range. I can't wait to hear clips of the STR Tweed. I bet it sounds amazing!

a Gries 5 combo would be another great option for you if you want something with more of a blackface Fender clean with a tweedy overdrive sound. Gries is not making amps at the moment but there are probably some amps in stock at one of his dealers and they come into the emporium on occasion.

4. Robertito

Robertito Member

Take a look at the Burriss Royal Bluesman - I haven't played through it, but the specs sound ideal for traveling.

5. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

I recommend the Goodsell Super 7. It's super light weight, has a 12" speaker, and is switchable between 2 and 7 watts. It's perfect for travelling.

6. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I love, love, love my Carr Mercury, as does every human who plays through it. Takes pedals super well and has perfect reverb (IMHO). FWIW, I also had a 6V6SE and I couldn't get passed the knobs on the back of the amp. It's a pretty loud little sucker and I wanted to be able to adjust things more than I could comfortably do without moving the guitar out of my lap and moving around. If he made a 12" version with the controls on the front I'd buy one. Perhaps petty, but in the studio context it mattered to me...

Good luck with the search!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  7. ksuaggie

ksuaggie Member

I just got a Richter 5.8, 5 watts with 6v6 and 8 watts with a 6l6, 12" speaker. I haven't had enough time with it to know all the quirks, but so far, wow, great small amp. Worth checking out, good price too.

8. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Headstrong Lil King Princeton clone - hand wired for reliability and with the 1X12 option, a Lil Room Fillin' Monster. Light weight, reverb & trem, classic tone-to-go.

9. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

Thanks all for the responses I appreciate it.

infiniteposse. Can you explain to me some of the tonal and dynamic differences you experience with the Carr versus the 6V6SE. IS the Carr more touch sensisitve. Is the gain more smooth etc.

I'd appreicate it cause I ain't going to be able to audition these amps beforehand

10. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Carr Mercury dude. 'Nuff said. One of THE best sounding little amps you'll ever hear, with a top-notch build quality. I played one, and for recording or a low-volume gig, it's perfect.

11. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Oh, and the Swart kind of bothers me (flame suit on). Why are the tone and volume controls flush with the body of the amp? Why not inset them so that they would be less prone to damage? That strikes me as poor design.

12. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Carr = smooth sounding, covers TONS of ground (3 voicings/4 wattage choices which lets you dime it to get total crazed sounds at any volume), 12" speaker gives great low end response, very touch sensitive.

Swart 6V6SE - smaller sounding with the smaller speaker. Actually too loud for most of my quiet playing needs - just kind of blasts you. Very directional so if it's on the floor it didn't sound right to me. Very touch sensitive in a good way. Not nearly the palette of sounds the Carr offers, but much smaller.

It's almost comparing apples to oranges really. It doesn't seem like a fair fight and I think the price reflects that.

Hope that helps.