Need a new capo.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Joshi, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

I have about 30 capos - including all of the brands mentioned above, and the Shubb is the hands-down winner.

2. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Another Planet Waves NS user here. Got two of 'em. Don't use a capo much, but for the rare times I do, not find anything better.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

G7th does it for me as well.

4. billfoma

billfoma Member

After using Kyser capos for well over a decade, last year I switched to a G7th. I can't even tell you where my Kysers are anymore. A bit expensive, but the best you can get, IMO.

5. NdrewC

NdrewC Member

I personally love the G7th on both the acoustic and electric. Seems a little odd to use at first but after a while I find it much more comfortable and easy to use.

6. bobwl

bobwl Member

I like others have a number of capos. Kyser, G7 Nashville, Dunlop, PW NS Capo (I actually beta tested this one), PW Dual Action Capo... etc etc.

Overall my favorite is the G7 Nashville, I have to admit though on my Taylor I tend to keep going back to my Dunlop capo.

I used to really like the Kysers, but it almost seems like they are using stronger springs nowadays than they used to which seems to really visegrip down the strings and throw them out of tune. The PW Dual Action capo seemed good in theory but I could never get it set where I liked it, it always seemed that one side would buzz or the other would be clamped too hard and it was awkward to change. Though I really like my Dunlop can be too loose on some necks.

7. jbright44

jbright44 Member

For electric guitar I use the G7th performance. It's the best hands down.

For acoustic you can't be the shubb. Both are great imo.

8. Joshi

Joshi Member

out of the shubb and g7th, which one is faster to change capo positioning? one thing i hate is taking too much time changing capo esp when you're doing intro for the next song.

9. HBob

HBob Member

I use Schubbs. I also like their partial capo.

10. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I've used the Kysers, G7, Shubbs and Planet Waves extensively. The Planet Waves NS gets my vote as the most hassle-free capo because it just works, it's tension-adjustable and can clip on your headstock when not in use. We do a lot of capo'ing live to accommodate singers.

The Kysers pull my strings sharp. The G7 does not always clamp all strings cleanly and you can't adjust the tension and it's expensive. The Shubb takes me longer to adjust at different fret positions (as neck thickness varies) and I have to take more care to set it evenly across all strings or the high or low E might not be clamped fully. These are just my experiences and clearly others have had success with all of the capos mentioned.

-bEn r.

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Planet Waves! I have more of them than I have guitars. The G7 is awesome, but expensive... AND... I do a lot of capoing across the five "top" strings and leaving the low E alone (faux drop tuning), sometimes using two capos if I do a faux drop F or G or something... and the G7 did NOT work well for me capoing all but one string. PW and Shubb did.

I gave away all my awful awful Kyser Capos. I hated those unless you were playing an acoustic with super heavy strings... which I don't...

12. localmotion411

localmotion411 Gold Supporting Member

A tip for you guys who have Kyser capos and either use them or want to keep them as backups:

You can lower the visegrip-like tension by wrapping a rubber band a few times (trial and error) around it which applies negative tension to it. Actually makes them usable.

I personally use a G7th Performance and think it's perfect, as long as you're playing a guitar with 9.5" or larger fretboard radius. Drove me nuts on a tele with 7.25".

13. orogeny

orogeny Member

big fan of kyser
    i buy them by the handful
    all of my students get them too
    never found a need to look any further.

14. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

I use the Kyser for acoustic and Dunlop trigger for electric.
    The kyser works beautifully on my acoustic, but the dunlop pulls my electric a smidge sharp.
    I noticed that the dunlop trigger has a curved capo and straight capo version, but they both look exactly the same in pictures. Does anyone have experience with both versions?

Anyhow, I like the kyser/trigger capos because I need to be able to put a capo on really fast with one hand. I owned a shubb, but it was a hassle sometimes to put it on in a hurry.

15. OOG

OOG Member

sorry but neither
    this is where the Elliott and others of it's ilk shine

16. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

G7th Nashville for me. Lightweight, low-tension, quick placement and removal.

17. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I am enjoying a new Planet Waves, good capo.

18. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

37 (now 38) posts on a capo? Man, we need a life!

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Dude... there's a thread asking what foot you use for your wah pedal. We clearly have run out of topics. :)

20. Ekluksdahl

Ekluksdahl Supporting Member

I'm a fan of the Shubb