need a new computer...Mac or PC??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Timster, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Timster

Timster Member

which is better for recording music? Which is better overall? Any input wound be appreciated..

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Lord help us... here we go.... :D

3. patentcad

patentcad Member

On the Fox series '24' they all use Macs exclusively. If it's good enough for our own spooks, it's good enough for me. Besides in order to fully understand the workings of Windows you have to be a witch.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The latest mac is a very stable platform, but if they do break, they are somewhat more expensive to repair. I help maintain and aging fleet of some 15000 computers for a school system, and the MAC OS 10's are the least problematic. The old IMAC's iwht the different colors were a POS in my opinion. My kids have one and I have had to repair it 7 times. One thing about it is, that my kids can't screw it up to the point that I can't reset it.:D

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

After umpteen years with PCs, I have an order in for a mini Mac, loaded. Enough awredy!!

jon

6. OneMileWish

OneMileWish Guest

Either one, if properly taken care of and built with the right components, will suit your recording needs just fine. Digidesign especially is making an effort, with the new versions of Pro Tools, to update Windows as much and as well as their Mac version of the software.

One important point, if you want to get heavily into computer recording, is to have a computer that is used specifically for recording and nothing else, especially not casual use of the net if possible.

Really it comes down to what you're most comfortable with and what software you want to use - for example, MOTU software users are gonna have to stick with Macs.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

This is not true with Macs. With OS X's dynamic memory allocation you can use one computer for everything. With older Mac OS's you can boot up with a bare bones set of extentions for strict audio use.

If you're talking about avoiding the net because of virus fears, that's also not an issue with Macs, even with older OS's.

8. OneMileWish

OneMileWish Guest

Well, alrighty then :)

9. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Mac. EOT.

10. Big Al

Big Al Member

Way back over yonder across the hills. Scotland
  11. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Do you like viruses, spyware, and constantly having to wipe and reinstall things?

If so, buy a PC :).

(Actually, people who really know what they're doing don't seem to have problems with these too much with PCs either, but I know plenty of 'normal' users who do... I can't believe the hassle some of them are willing to put up with rather than simply learn a slightly - and less so these days - different operating system.)

12. Big Al

Big Al Member

Way back over yonder across the hills. Scotland
    have you upgraded your imac yet john? the G5 is lightyears ahead of my old mac - can't beleive i've taken so long to upgrade... well, i mean i can't beleive how long it took me to persuade Kirsten. :D

13. patentcad

patentcad Member

>>help maintain and aging fleet of some 15000 computers for a school system, <<

I find it odd that a school system would tolerate the presence of an actual witch. (And if you refer to my previous post you'll see that you'd have to be a witch to maintain so many Windows machines).

14. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I have recorded on Mac and PC - Mac takes it hands down.

IMO, what is essential is a solid foundation to work on. The PC kept crashing while the make stood up fine.

What's also amazing is the longevity you get with these machines. My last PC started slowing down after a few months (even with regular Scandisc and Defragin'). My parents got me the dual G4 after graduating from University in 2003 and, apart from reseting the power manager after a bump, I have never had any problems and it still performs like new. You can use that computer for about 10 years (or more) before needing to upgrade.

Where I work, we have three older macs (one single-processor G4, a first generation iMac and a second generation iMac - perty colours! - and all three work fine.)

If I had only one beef with Apple, it's that the iPod scratches too easily! :D

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

No wonder there are no ducks to be found near our schools. Getting rid of the ducks is what they do first. Clever...

16. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I'm with OMW on this one - though I would rather stab my eyes out with a fork than record on a PC :D I'm just used to the Macs now and after watching my brother spend 4 hours resurrecting his Windows laptop on Friday...I just wouldn't have the patience to keep up the maintenance on a Windows machine.

Having said that, I know 2 guys that record on PCs and are very diligent about keeping up with their routine maints, so they *rarely* have any trouble to speak of.

I always recommend having 1 computer (if you can) used strictly for recording, but it's a weird reason. You know how 'they' say if you're an insomniac that you shouldn't read in bed? Develops some kind of association in your brain that helps keep you awake, etc. For me, having the separate recording computer helps me focus on recording and music rather than thinking about my e-mail or fark.com or something like that.

--chiba

17. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

If you're starting from ground zero and don't have a lot of legacy apps that you want to use for the PC already, get the Mac. You'll be able to focus on making music instead of trying to figure out why your computer isn't getting it done.

You'll be much happier.

18. Timster

Timster Member

I have used a PC in the past, but basically can't record anything over 15 seconds. I think I may get a Mac for my next computer...now I just need to decide on the G5 IMac, or the G5 Power Mac...

19. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

G5 Power Mac!

20. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member