Need a new mic Sennheiser 835 v. 935

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dag2000, Mar 29, 2015.

1. dag2000

dag2000 Member

I need a new mic for vocals. The PA is a low-end setup: some old JBL Eon speakers and a Mackie VLZ Pro board. Used to play small rooms.

The 835 is at a pretty nice price point. Is the 935 worth it to spend the bucks on? What will I get?

Thanks very much.

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

I also have a fairly modest PA, Carvin PM15A cabs. Last year I picked up a 935 after trying both. To my ears it was worth the difference. I was lucky to be able to test them side by side at a gig by buying both with a return policy. I returned the 835.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I love my 835, so much better than my SM58 (for me?). Crisper, clearer, louder, handles plosives better, no contest (again, for me and every person in my setup that has used it - including female singers).
    I did a little research and I recall many people saying the 935 was not a HUGE leap forward but I don't have side by side to back that up. I think the 835 is a great option for rugged, live use at a fantastic price point.

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Agree 100%. So much happier than with 58's.

5. PhilF

PhilF Member

The biggest difference you're going to get going from the 8-9 series mics is slightly better build quality and technical specs. Probably better shockmounting/handling noise reduction, more rugged material, things like that. Same thing is true going from the SM series to the beta series with Shure stuff. That doesn't mean you'll like the sound better though.

I've never actually compared the 835 and 935 side by side, but word is they are a little different sounding. I doubt you'll be disappointed with either if you are looking for a mic with a little more high mids/prescence than a 58, but not the over hyped presence of a beta 58.

The funny thing is lots of people say the 58 is muddy. Oddly enough the frequency response of a 58 is much flatter than most mics. Turns out people don't actually want flat.

6. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I like the 835's lack of proximity effect and feedback rejection. You can get great deals on them since the updated version was released.

7. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I own and use a Sennheiser 835 and 935. For me, there is a very noticeable difference between the two. Depending on how discerning you are, it can be plenty noticeable with a low-end setup.
    What you get with the 935 is a more "refined" sound and tighter pattern. This may or MAY NOT be better for your singing style and type of music. For that, only you can decide. But if you like to "work the mic", the 835 is more forgiving, the 935 requires that you stay on axis for consistent level.

8. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I find the 935 worth the extra. Nice tight pickup pattern, silkier sound. I actually find the 835 pickup to be way too wide, almost omni in the lows.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I voted with my dollars, also - I've been using a 935 for over a year now, and haven't regretted my choice for a moment...

- georgestrings

10. B Money

B Money Member

IMO, you can never go wrong spending more money on mics. To me, they are the most important part of the signal chain.
    #1: mic
    #2: speakers
    #3. mixer
    #4: poweramp

11. Tweeker

Agree totally on the descriptions of 935/835. But to the OP, if your style of music calls for it, the 835 can be a better fit. Sometimes a "better" mic isn't your best choice.

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

if you sing off to the side like some backup guys will, an 835 is better. we switched some guys from 935's to 835's for that very reason.

otoh they still sound better than 58's :D

13. geoangus

geoangus Member

When singing lead while playing guitar, I have tendency to bounce around the mic. We currently have 58's, and when I'm directly on the mic, I'm noticeably missing from the mix. From what I'm reading on this thread, and a few others, would the 835 be the better choice over the 935? Or is the 935 also much better than the 58 in terms of a wider pattern?

And FWIW - the style of music is 70's - 00's rock. And we struggle with volume - but we're working on that.

14. Tweeker

Without hearing the band I'm guessing, but I don't think changing from Shure to Sennheiser will help you to be heard in the mix. Get your volume under control and the 58 should cut through the mix just fine.

15. geoangus

geoangus Member

When I'm on the mic, I come thru fine, it's just when I bounce a little left or right of axis that I drop out

16. joafink2

joafink2 Supporting Member

I haven't tried the 835, but I love my 935 for this. Don't even feel the need to try an 835.

I know it's hard to break habits, but maybe try being a little more on the mic as well. You get the better tone from your voice when you are right on.

Best of luck!

17. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

My wife uses an 835. It is definitely better (especially for female vox) than an SM58 because of the more even response.
    Depending on the cost to upgrade to the 935, have you considered a Shure Beta57? That is a great all around vocal mic.

18. Tweeker

The 835 does pick up a bit more off axis than the 58. It also sounds very different.

19. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Our band has settled on 935's for our female lead singer and I, and a 945 for our male lead singer. These are well worth the $$. I have been playing out since the late 70's with almost anything you can imagine. Seinnheiser is the shizz. Yes. I will say again, spend the coin, and what you get in return is gigable, reliable, and tough.

20. B Money

B Money Member

I absolutely love my e945. Replaced a Beta58 and I don't regret it at all. I have a somewhat thin vocal tone and the 945 really warm it up, plus I like the tight super-cardioid pickup pattern.

IMO, a good mic is the best investment you can make.