Need a new mixer.... should I just get a A&H Mix Wizard?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Yer Blues, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Channels are starting to fail on the Carvin CP1644 I have been using 3-5 times a month for almost the last two years. It's causing issues during setup because a channel that worked the prior gig fails the next gig and then will work a gig after that. Plus, the Carvin is probably not a great sounding board. It's time to dump the Carvin and pick something else up. The last two years has been the first time I've run "live sound" for a band. It has been a learning experience, but I do think I'm improving and when everything is working on the mixer it's definitely getting less stressful... haha.

I thought about going digital, but I'm not much of a "tweaker". I think I'd prefer something more along the lines of the Carvin... which leads me to the A&H Mix Wizard. I have a 6 channel A&H Zed FX I use at home and, IMO, it sounds better than the Carvin, but it doesn't have enough channels for the live situations.

Main gig is with a female fronted country rock band with two vocalist, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, drums. 90% of the time we are providing our own sound and I am mixing from stage using a wireless to go out front a couple times during the first couple of songs. As far as requirements, I'd say...

-Atleast 9-10 channels needed. Would prefer all XLR inputs/outputs
    -Everything is mic'd, although sometimes from drums just the kick gets mic'd in smaller rooms
    -Only effects needed from board are reverb for vocals and some acoustic guitar (effects on the Carvin aren't that good, IMO, and lately have only been working on channels 9-16)
    -songlist is some classic country, some newer bro/female country, classic rock, and some pop tunes (cover band playing female fronted country rock with our own spin.... think Miranda Lambert meets Allman Brothers meets Sugarland meets Skynyrd. No tracks, everything is live)
    -FOH (JBL PRX) and monitors (Mackie SRM) are powered
    -only need one monitor mix (majority of time monitors are only vocals, acoustic guitar, and a little electric guitar)
    -need a road case
    -less tweaking I have to do with the mixer the better :)

I think that covers it. Is it safe to buy used as I see them on Ebay with roadcases for $500-600? I do know a good amp tech/repair guy, but his turnaround time is not quick. Any reason not to go with the Mix Wizard? It seems like that is the most commonly recommended mixer at that price point, it would meet all the requirements, and I keep coming back to it. Just wonder if I should go new vs. used.

Thanks!

2. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Go for it. Mine is 10 years old, has hundreds of gigs on it and I use the pre's for recording live drums. Two sweepable mids and all the auxes you'd need. Highly reccomended.

imaxeman69 and Yer Blues like this.
  3. loudboy

loudboy Member

If you're staying analog, a used MixWiz is really the only contender.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Mix Wiz is a great board. I recently got a Soundcraft Signature 16 (12 mic pre's) for my two bands and like it a lot. I'm the guitar player and mix from the stage.

Yer Blues likes this.
  5. 335guy

335guy Member

Well, a used Mixwiz vs the Soundcraft Sig 16 are the same cost, $600. One's new ( Soundcraft ) and the Mixwiz is used. But the build quality of the Mixwiz is legendary. Plus, you have 6 aux sends on the Mixwiz vs 4 on the Soundcraft Sig 16. Either one will do a fine job but the Mixwiz is more channels, more auxes and better build quality. IMO, the used Mixwiz is the better value.

https://reverb.com/item/2051751-all...CS-N86p-pURdnA0WuKaCMfpe1KTDXTd183RoCUITw_wcB

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig16

But at that price, I'd seriously be tempted to get an X18.

Yer Blues likes this.
  6. loudboy

loudboy Member

Used MixWiz's are down to the $300-400 range.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1, but that's like saying, "if you're staying with your VHS player panasonic is really the only contender".

no reason to buy any way other than used, folks are giving them away at this point.

hell, i just finished a gig with a band that still runs one (i play guitar and mix from stage) and by the end of the night i was ready to trade the whole rolling rack with the an old brit-made mixwiz up top and a front full of nice old-school US-made processing gear from rane, DBX, aphex, and lexicon that i'd accumulated over the years, i'd trade the whole damn thing for a $600 mackie DL1608 and never look back.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

No argument here that the Mix Wizard is a good board. The Sig 16 does have two sub-mix groups which can be used to augment the four aux sends, if needed. For my needs, I went with the Sig 16 because it has all the features I need (more than I need 99% of the time), it's a bit smaller and lighter than the A&H and has all the I/O on top (I do sound from the stage and space is usually at a premium), and it has a warranty.

9. Mike Monte

Mike Monte Member

I have been using a Mixwizard for a whole bunch of years in my small sound-for-hire venture and have never received a complaint. Last year I purchased a QU-16 digital board (essentially a digital version of the Mixwiz) and have used it for several gigs mixing via iPad.
    Some of my outdoor sound gigs use generators and I am leery about using my digi board with sketchy power thus I use the Mixwiz for those applications.
    If you play indoor gigs/mix from stage exclusively plus you have the $ you'd probably be best to go digital as that seems to be the way things are going. If your plans include outdoor gigs on generator power....I'd stay analog.
    Mixwiz's are inexpensive on the used market these days.

Yer Blues likes this.
  10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I use a Samson L2000. Similar feature set. Half the price.

11. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't think I'm ready to go digital at this point. I thought about it, but I'm just getting to hang of using an analog board and (IMO) when it's working it sounds pretty good. I've looked at the similar offerings from Yamaha, Mackie, etc, but I think no matter what I got I'd end up thinking "I wonder what would happened if I ended up with the Mix Wizard"...... so in order to avoid that I will look at picking one up. :idea

Only one full band gig the rest of the month, so it's a good time to pull the trigger so I have some time to fool around with it at home and get comfortable with it.

12. imaxeman69

imaxeman69 Member

2nd this. I've done the same as Mixwiz.

13. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Why don't you just get the Carvin fixed? Carvin will fix whatever ails it for $295

http://www.carvinaudio.com/pages/warranty-service

I've got a 1644P (same thing as you, but with the power amp). A friend also has the exact same one. Over 10 years of beating on 'em, getting 'em wet, bounching around in cars, they've been bulletproof. I think it sounds great. I know the cork sniffers don't like Carvin, but man there is really nothing "wrong" with owning one.

14. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I think it would amaze you to use the newer digital boards.
    They are not much different in concept than any of the analog
    board - just the logistics are amazingly easy.

Tripower455 likes this.
  15. loudboy

loudboy Member

Used MixWiz is about the same price, outperforms a Carvin in every possible way. Not dogging on the Carvin, but they were built to 2 different price points, when new.

walterw and sants like this.
  16. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I pulled the trigger on a used Mix Wiz. I imagine the next board will be digital, but I'm pretty sure the Mix wiz will do the job.

17. 335guy

335guy Member

May we ask what you are paying for it?

18. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

$650 for version 3 in near perfect condition with original box. I didn't have a ton of time to shop around. There were dinged up v2 and v1 for less money, but I decided on v3 that appears like new. In another 2-3 years I'll probably go digital.

I need a roadcase. The popup SKB case doesn't seem to be available online anymore? It looks like it would be perfect for my application though. Anyone know of anything similar for around $200?

335guy likes this.
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

IIRC the popup SKB case is too shallow for a MW. I was looking at getting one (a friend has a 14:4:2) but I ended up getting a PA12 as it is shallower which allowed it to lower all the way to put the lid on the SKB.

20. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

yep