Need a new non-Keurig Coffee machine!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ROTHNROLL, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

Greetings,

My Keurig died on me. I revived the Keurig back from death every few months using several fixes on the internet, but I am through with that technology.

I want to go back to using a regular coffee machine. I don't want to use the manual grinder, cold brew method.
    I feel like a hipster just even suggesting something that isn't Keurig.
    The only requirement is that my wife and mother-in-law can operate it.
    Specs on the wife: 35 year old, perky, extremely oversexed, above average intellegence, bad taste in men :). Can't operate machinery worth a $hit. This includes cellphones, remote controls, our car, non-analog watches.. etc. Occasionally my mother-in-law wants to come over and she might want to use it.
    Specs on the mother in law: 58 years old, grumpy and dumpy, hot flashes, always complaing about it being cold, shows up unannounced and bugs the **** out of me. Has the common sense of a turd, and the personality of a peanut in the aforementioned turd. Runs out of gas in her car once a month, even though she has plenty of money.

Any suggestions? (under 200 dollars)

2. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

3. offbeat

offbeat Member

This may get me banned from TGP, but I've been using an old Mr. Coffee machine for decades now.
    It's got a temp-adjustable warming plate, and a timer.
    Before I go to bed, I put in a filter, coffee grounds, and water. I set the timer for when I get up. When my alarm goes off, I REALLY don't want to get out of bed. Then, from the kitchen, I hear the familar gurgle of water brewing, and the smell of fresh coffee. It makes mornings tolerable.

4. Bitflogger

Bitflogger Member

We just go with something that uses the popular Melitta #4 filters. We have a Cuisinart stainless and plastic maker and matching grinder that have lasted longer than we ever expected.

The cabin has whatever didn't last or was designed poorly from the house.

We have a Melitta cone in the camping gear.

People who visit often think we have some special magic machines and don't realize it's as simple as grind good beans, then pour water that's not quite boiling.

White plastic versions of same stuff we have stain if you make coffee as often as we do, or have same luck of it lasting.

:)

5. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Funny, was just telling my wife I was growing weary of the Keurig and wanted to start grinding my own bean blends again...
    I use an old Braun 2 cupper from my between wives days.

I just have to compliment you on your initial post...one of the funniest things I've see on TGP, and there is a whole lotta funny **** posted here.

Especially loved the MIL description.:aok

6. aquietcabin78

aquietcabin78 Member

We use a BUNN and it is the business. 10 cups of coffee in 3 minutes.

7. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

Thanks guys. If you could give me the actual model number or a link to your suggestion it would be appreciated.

8. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

9. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

10. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

I don't mind grinding my own beans. I don't want to use the aeropress setup, because it will be the wife making the coffee. She ain't hip to that.

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Move next to a Dunkin' Donuts.

12. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

After dealing with expensive machines, I've regressed to buying the cheapest thing I can find with a timer and then chucking it in the trash every couple of years or so when the tank gets really crusty and the heat plate starts getting weak. When my coffee is warm enough to immediately drink straight from the carafe, it's time for a new machine.

13. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I had good experiences with Tassimo. I had a T45 that worked really well. The pods for it are around $10 for a pack of 16. Lots of flavors and brew strengths are available.

My personal favorite is the Gevalia Signature blend and the Crema. Very good coffee with an easy to drink profile.

The pods are available online and in Bed Bath and Beyond.

My only negatives about the Tassimo? The pods were a little inconsistent. The Crema pods didn't always foam up at the end. They do make cappuccino kits with milk pods that the machine will froth, but I didn't like the taste of.

The only reason we don't still have one? My mother in law works at a high end kitchen store, and she bought us a Nespresso Verutoline for Christmas. Great machine, and good coffee, but the machine is $300 and the pods are only available online.

14. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Man...if an electric teapot and a french press is too technical or too much hassle to make coffee the way nature intended, maybe you should consider a different, less difficult beverage; like tap water, maybe?? ;)

15. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Not sure coffee's gonna' do it.

S

16. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Technivorm Moccamaster. It is more expensive but it will save you money in the long run. I've tried A LOT of machines and it is hands down the best drip machine. You will taste the difference in the first cup. Also they last forever. I don't do anything fancy, just buy Caribou Blend beans, grind them in a Braun blade grinder I got about 20 years ago, or go pre-ground if you prefer and it works just like a Mr. Coffee but tastes 1000Xs better and will last a decade or two.
    Bunns are typically very durable but IMO they make the coffee to fast it doesn't get enough time to steep. A minute or more for the Tchnivorm makes a world of difference. Also I prefer the carafe style I always find the makers with the hot plate burn the coffee after a short time.. yuck.

17. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Keurigs are horrible disease-breeding machines, good move tossing it. My favorite Krups is no longer sold in the US, unfortunately.

Agree with the problem with Bunn. Durable but not a good brew IMO.

19. sweiss

sweiss Member

We're on our third one in about 20 years. They'd likely last longer if we didn't leave the tank heater on at all times.

You can't beat 10 cups of coffee in three minutes. How it ranks as far as making a great cup of coffee, I can't say....but it's good enough to help me back into the land of the living every morning.

20. BluesMan75

BluesMan75 Supporting Member

This.

....but at the office we have a Keurig. Clients (and potential clients) like to be offered fresh coffee, green tea, and the ladies especially like the hot chocolate.

I drink way too much coffee to justify it at home.