Need a new nut - graphite, tusq, bone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Big0range, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Big0range

Big0range Member

I've gotta get a nut installed on my hopefully soon-to-be-completed strat project. I plan on using the trem, at least a little. I've got the Gotoh Locking Vintage tuners. I though about using a roller nut, but understand they can sound too metallic. Graphite or tusq seem to be the best options to prevent any binding of the string, or maybe the Trem-Nut by GraphTech.

Any input one way or the other, or other product suggestions?

2. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

go with the tusq, very nice with the trem. Graphite is better but it can dampen the sound in some guitars. Bone sounds the best as far as I am concerned but if it is not cut properly it can bind the string with trem use

3. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I've installed 3 Tusq nuts so far (2 Teles, 1 LP) and have been very happy with them. They're inexpensive, and easy to work with.

4. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Member

"I though about using a roller nut, but understand they can sound too metallic"

MYTH. I have one on my AMDLX Fat Strat and it sounds fine. I didn't notice much difference at all between the sound (roller nut) with a graphite nut on one of my strats and the stock plastic one on another.

5. bynt

bynt Member

I'm one for the graphite, personally. I had bone on my strat. Bone rocked but broke and there were definately tuning problems. Anyway, switched to graphite a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. I've been told that they wear out quicker but I had mine for seven years on my main guitar and never had any problems. In fact, I bought a new neck and then went straight for graphite.

6. rrhea

rrhea Member

7. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Im switching all of my graphite nuts to Tusq. 1,000,000 % better.

8. Big0range

Big0range Member

Great input so far, it seems I can rule out bone (but add that Slip-Stone)...