Need a new speaker for my Peavey Classic 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Jul 21, 2006.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I'm on my second v30 and I'm got bad ghost notes on both speakers. I don't remember this problem with the original blue marvel.

The Peavey get a very nice clean and a british overdrive. I like the sound of both channels with the v30 but the cone cry (bassey overtones on most notes over the 8th fret) is getting on my nerves:NUTS I ready to put the original speaker back in:jo

What speaker under $100 will do the trick?

Mark

2. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I usually like Vintage 30's, but not with an EL-84 amp. I gave away my Blue Marvel, because the low end was too loose, with little clean headroom. The Sheffield speakers sound much better, and more British. The Eminence Red Coat speakers, should also sound good, in the Classic 30. You may like the Red Ryder or Governor.

3. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Why the Red Ryder ? Thanks.

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

gearo999, the Eminence web site lists the Red Ryder as having a tight low end response. I thought that this might help your problem with bassey overtones.

5. hipfan

hipfan Member

The speakers I hear mentioned most often as upgrades for the C30 are the Weber Blue Dog and the Eminence Stonehenge. I can attest to the Blue Dog with a variety of EL84 amps (never had a C30 though), and it's a fantastic speaker. I've never had a Stonehenge though.

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've had a Jensen Neo in mine for 2-3 yrs. I love it.

jon

7. TexasJim

TexasJim Member

I replaced the speaker in my Classic 30 with an 8-ohm Eminence Legend Alnico 1228. It's like a 50's speaker, with a 6 or 7 oz magnet. It gives real, classic blues tones, and isn't over-driven by the 30. I put a "dummy" 1/4" plug in the extension speaker jack, which sends makes the transformer send 8 ohms to the main speaker. Sounds great, and it lightened the amp by about three pounds!

IMHO, the Peavey "Blue Marvel" speakers should be banned from the earth! I replaced the 15" in my Peavey Delta Blues with an Eminence "BIG BEN", and damn! what an improvement.

Just my opinion.

Texas Jim

8. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I couldn't agree with you more, I had my Classic 50 in the emporium, and I took it off after I replaced the speakers with V30's. I haven't noticed any weird cone cry, although I'm not listening for it. Sounds pretty clean to me.

9. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

I generally agree, but I heard a 30 at a Guitar Center this guy was jamming through and was totally blown away. I own a 50 and after he left rushed up to see if there were any visible mods. Had a BLUE MARVEL. Far and away the best classic 30 I've ever heard, and I've plugged into a few dozen over the years.

Still didn't beet my 50 pumping through an old salt and pepper with greenies, but hey...it killed for a combo.

But yes, 99.9% of the times those Blue Marvels are horrible.

10. Derelict

Derelict Member

i would like to add that i too was recently blown away by the new c30 head w/ matching 2x12 blue marvel cab. holy crap, did it sound good. a HUGE, deep clean with EL84s.....i couldn't believe it. the OD channel had a nice low end and upper-mids and highs, but lacked a bit of body at lower volumes. overall, i was very surprised with this amp.

11. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Well, I tried a different cab using the speaker out. The v30 has some serious problems with the ghost notes. The v30 has to go.

I used an Avatar with a pair of Wizards and it sounded sweet. I think I want to try a different Eminence speaker. Any other speakers suggestions?

12. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Go for the Greenback. It,s proven by many , me included in this amp

13. Boogs

Boogs Member

Emi GB12 sounds great in this amp...warm and clear. Sounds great with every guitar I've played through it.

Weber Blue Dog is awesome, and makes it's OD really shine.

Eminence Wizard, Stonehenge are really nice in it, and if you can find a Reverend Alltone it can be nice with some guitars. The Cannabis Rex is the ticket for jazz and butter-smooth overdrive.

14. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

I have a red fang in mine, and it's doing great!

15. krash

krash Member

Celestion greenback is a little smallish for that amp at 25W ... if you're after that tone get an Eminence Private Jack (great speaker for the amp) with 50W rating. A PJ in a C30 is a great combo. Get an 8 ohm speaker and plug it into the extension speaker jack (8 ohm tap).

However I think for that size and type of combo, the Eminence Wizard is the king IMHO!

Red Fang is going to be great clean but cranked you're going to hear some cone cry ... it's very normal. Private Jack has the same cone and the same kind of cone cry with my 30+ watt EL84 amps. Not objectionable but you have to learn to play it. No cone cry with a Wizard yet but it's definitely a more aggressive and "rock" tone.

I also tried a Weber Silver Bell (ceramic) and it also has cone cry even with my so-called 12W Princeton Reverb. If you crank these amps, you will hear cone cry with most G12-type speakers I think.

Maybe C. Rex or Tone Tubby won't do the cone cry as bad as a regular pulp cone speaker.

16. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I've got Blue Dog. Sounds great.

17. krash

krash Member

well fwiw a Classic 30 will put out fairly more than 30 watts so a 30W speaker such as a Blue Dog, Red Fang, G12H-30, etc. is on the small side if you really get it cranked. I think most folks playing stock C30's are probably not cranking them that high though since they really do their best work not-so-cranked IMHO, but you might bear that in mind when selecting a speaker with less than a 40W rating.

18. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I have a G12H30 in my C30 and initially loved the change. I'm wondering if I've blown the dang thing though because I'm getting some bad tones out of amp now....I've been thinking I need to go ahead and try replacing the power tubes as well because they get the snot kicked out of em and are progressively getting noiser and rattle even with the tube tamer.

But can the 30watt g12H30 handle the C30 (22watts RMS I think).

By the way, what is cone cry, what does it sound like?

19. krash

krash Member

C30 is not 22W RMS. It's 22 VOLTS RMS according to the sticker on the speaker jack. Into 16 ohms, that's 30.25 watts. However that's a "clean" power rating so if you're cranking it, it's going to put out a bit more power than that, enough to make me think a bit about a G12H30 and maybe go with a Wizard instead (75W and similar tone).

Cone cry sounds like a sub-harmonic (lower than the fundamental) "ghost note" that appears particularly with high notes. In all of my speakers, it's in tune with the note I am playing and an octave lower but I have heard others report that cone cry can be dissonant and sound very bad. For my speakers it's been happening at around D-G or so on the high E string, 10th thru 15th fret, and only when the amp is uber-cranked, although not putting out nearly the speaker's rated power.

For example my Silver Bell is a 30W speaker and my supposedly-12-watt Princeton Reverb will make it cry like a baby. My Red Fang is also a 30W speaker and my 18watt will also send it into cone-cry zone when it's dimed. The 50W Private Jack will cry with my 35ish watt amp cranked. I presume then that a 30+ watt Classic 30 likely could make a 30W G12H30 exhibit some cone cry if you have it really cranked (all knobs on 12), although I never heard any cone cry with my 50W Private Jack in my Classic 30.

20. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Someone recently emailed me about getting a speaker for this same amp. Apparently their amp came with an 80 watt Celestion, then they went to the G12H30 Anniversary. They said it sounded great for about a month, then they turned up past 1:00 on the dial and the speaker went belly up.

Now he believes that the amp puts out more than 30 watts...so he's looking for another speaker.

You have to pay attention to the clean vs. dimed power wattage rating...that's why 100 watt Plexi Marshalls used TWO 100 watt cabs, because they could put out 180 watts when dimed, even if it was only 110-120 clean. If you check most amps past 2-3 on their volume knobs, they've hit their CLEAN power rating and it goes up almost to double that rating at their peak volume when dimed/overdriven or cranked (however you recognize the phrase meaning the volume has peaked or the volume knob can't turn any more...).