Need a noise reduction pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jackrussel, Sep 27, 2008.

1. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

Hey!

The hiss on my board is killing me. I use a Ds-2 and a Rat in pretty hi gain settings so it gets noissssssy (plus a booster and an eq...).

So i'm thinking of getting a noise reduction pedal but my board is packed.
    I can probably squeeze in a pedal the size of a small mxr, maybe...

I was thinking something in the line of the decimator but with a small print, it doesn't even have to be a pedal, or have a switch, it can be on all the time. Just a box with a threshold control, input and output and it has to be small. You guys know some solution that meets this criteria?

Thanks!

2. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

3. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Boss NS-2. It has a kind of pseudo side chain input that lets you put a bunch of pedals into it's loop and trigger the gate with the actual input if the guitar. The cool part about this is that say you have a comp and a couple of gain pedals in the loop... no matter how you have your gain pedals set gain, output whatever, it never over powers the gate because the trigger that opens the gate doesn't change. It's very cool and if there were another pedal that did this I would surely try it out.

I have also heard good things about the ISP Decimator but have never tried one and as far as I know it does not have this feature. Same thing with the MXR Smart Gate which is another NR pedal.

4. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

Thanks for the reply!

This is a stupid question... I don't use my amp's FX loop (Peavey Classic 50). Could i place say, a decimater or an NS-2 on the FX loop leaving it on all the time?
    I was thinking i could just place it on the amp's back with a PSU and just leave it there.

5. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Sure. It will work there too. I would put it before any time based effects though.

6. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

How about the MXR Smart Gate? I use just after my distortions and I do find that it takes care of all the extra noise. This pedal can be used in front of the pre-amp, and in the effects loop.

I did try the decimator before getting the MXR and found the decimator to not really do very much, so I got this one instead and it was a very good choice on my part. I didn't even consder the NS-2 because I read too many bad reviews about how it sucks tone. That is another thing, if you turn on your noisegate and play clean, you will lose sustain, that is just the nature of the beast.

If size is a concern, give the MXR a good hard look, it it worth the money. If you always play with distortion, then there is no reason not to have the noisegate on all the time on your effects loop sitting by your amp.

7. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

That would be the perfect solution for me since i use a loop-master and keep my distortions in one loop. I could just add it to the loop and it wouldn't affect my clean tone.
    Then again i rarely use a clean sound... i just roll off the volume on the guitar...

Dam! why is it you're never done with a pedalboard?
    I was so thrilled i finally "finished" my board, now i'm gonna have to rearrange everything to squeeze one more pedal!
    ...actually that makes me kinda happy:banana
    Thanks!

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Ha ha, I know exactly what you mean. Sounds like your loop solution is a very good one (I got to get me one of those...) and you will be pleased with the Smart Gate. It was originally designed to work with very high gain amplifiers like the Peavey 5150, so I am sure it will fit your needs very well. Not to mention the fact that everyone seems to carry one of those bad boys.

I would also try the ISP if you get the chance to see which suits you best.

9. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

The new Electroharmonix Hum Debugger works like a charm for me. I wanted to avoid noise gates at all costs - I never liked their effect on sound and I don't (normally) play in metal bands.

I put it at the end of my amp's effects loop, and it even cuts off the extra noise of the high gain channels... It is not 100% silent but can eliminate single coil hum, as well as ground loops and interferences. (Well, it does produce an almost undetectable sound of very high frequency but you can only hear it - if you try really hard - when no one else is playing and you're in a soundproof room). Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYcx1RquTDw

10. random pants

random pants Member

Another vote for the NS-2. I can't comment on any of the other pedals since I have no experience with them, but I know FOR SURE that the NS-2 works, and works well. I play mostly acoustic only, but have lots of friends who play a lot of prog rock with distortion pedals from various companies (mostly boss, vox, and digitech) and have an NS-2 last in their chain. The NS-2 does a great job of eliminating hum, especially from single coil pickups.

11. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

For what its worth, I also run a classic 50. I have settled on the NS-2.
    Honostly I have wanted to try the decimator numerous times but really only because its more booteek. The NS-2 has been an excellent pedal.
    Ive run it with my pedals going through its loop but found it works just as well without its loop. Its my first pedal into the front of the amp, all dirt directly after it. I have never noticed any tone suck and I keep it on all the time whether playing clean or full gain,, I have never had an issue with it cutting sustain. I assume it would work in your loop but have never tried it. Get one,, its a must for high gain playing. Dead quiet when you stop playing. Nice!

12. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

I think i'm getting a lot of AC hum too...

So i did some trouble shooting and found something odd.
    If i touch the metal part of the board the hum decreases, but what's weird is that if i touch my LPB-1 the hum also decreases.

And it's the only pedal on the board where this happens.

I thought it might be a bad ground on the george l's plug, but i tested all the cables and they are fine...

Here's a video i shot to demonstrate (the quality is crap, sorry about that...):
    The LPB-1 is before the loop master is always ON.
    In the loop there's a DS-2 and an MXR eq ON.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1-9EomLR7w&fmt=18

And a pic of ow the power is distributed to my pedals:
    [​IMG]

Can someone help me identify the problem? I'm lost....

thanks!

13. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

14. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I looked at your video and it seems like a grounding issue. Maybe powering the RAT, LPB-1 and wah pedal with the same boss power adapter might not be such a good idea. What happens when you remove the LPB-1 from the chain altogether?

If your problem is an AC noise issue, maybe consider getting something like the PP2+. It has isolated power outputs and that should eliminate AC noise.

15. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

Thanks man, i apreciate that.

Do you think powering the drive pedals and the lpb-1 with one psu, and the delay chorus and wha with the other could help?
    I'm away from my gear right and can't try it.

I've read somewhere that it's preferable to power modulation and drive pedals separately if you're using daisy chains. Does some one have any input on this?

I an know a psu with isolated outs would be the ideal solution, but that's not an opyion for me right now...

thanks!

16. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

That might help, but I would try putting the board together piece by piece to see which of the pedals is the culprit, or at which point daisy chaining them together makes the noise.

It could even be a bit of crasstalk between wires! And I don't think that is something that a noise gate would solve.

17. david henman

david henman Member

18. Julia343

Julia343 Member

ISP Decimator G-string for $250.

Size of the Boss. First in the chain. samples your guitar signal. then goes to your dirt pedals, then into your amp, then back fromt the FX loop, then slams the gate shut when you're not playing, then goes back inot your amps return. Adjust the threshold. This thing is most valuable on high gain amps. Doesn't suck tone.

Cheaper solution? Play. You can't hear the hiss while you're playing.

19. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

thanks for the replies.

I did some trobleshouting and the problem is definitely in one of the pedals before the loop-master. If i connect the guitar directly to the loop-master i just get noise from the dirt boxes, no ac hum.
    The cables are fine so either the the tuner, the wah or the lpb-1 is causing the extra noise.
    Either that or there's some ground looping going on because of the daisy chains (more than likely i'd say).

I'm getting some batteries to further investigate. Thanks again!:AOK

20. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

if you want a cheaper solution for the PP2+, do an ebay search for BBE supa charger. exact same thing minus the courtesy outlet. i think they sell for $100.