Need a recommendation for a reverb pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by davebc, May 7, 2015.

1. davebc

davebc Member

I recently picked up a Carr Bloke to have a little fun with on stage, you know to change things up a little.

Being a Marshall inspired, or as Steve describes it, "a dedicated overdrive amp" there's no reverb.

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I love reverb. All my regular gigging amps have it. I generally hate playing without it.

Can anyone recommend a great little reverb pedal that will do the trick which won't sound messy?

Thanks guys and gals

2. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

3. scolfax

scolfax Member

I love the Strymon Flint, but it's pricey. But also has trem.

4. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

I hate playing without a kiss of reverb too. There's no shame in it. I generally like a dry tone, but 100% dry just seems unnatural and unkind to my ear. It's like playing in a void or vacuum.
    A question though... When you say "won't sound messy", are you planning on running the verb *before* the overdriven amp? Because, honestly, there isn't a reverb that won't be messy into overdrive.

5. 1GoldTop

1GoldTop Supporting Member

Digitech polara

6. Semitone

Semitone Member

7. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I am right here with you. Modded Marshall tones with a touch of verb and ALSO, a 550ms delay with faint single repeat! 80's rock heaven.

8. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

There is a large price range for reverb pedals so what is your price range?

I tried a few and love the Strymon Flint. As said before, it's a little expensive but has 3 great sounding, versatile reverbs AND 3 great sounding, versatile tremolos.

9. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

The Neunaber Wet is very good.

I like the Mojo Hand Dewdrop even better than the Wet.

-bEn r.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  10. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I think the three champs are (depending on your taste):

Strymon Flint
    Neunaber Wet
    Catalinbread Talisman

I also want to add that I love to play with just a touch of reverb at all times.

11. davebc

davebc Member

The amp has an effects loop, another feature I never use :hide

So I'm open to anything that will sound natural.
    It's a "dedicated overdrive amp" (again according to Steve), but I'm not a high gain player,
    so I tweek the amp on the lower gain vintage side of things running the drive low. It sings without sounding messy.

12. niz

niz Member

wet reverb

13. davebc

davebc Member

Not too concerned about the price point. I just want whatever is a good fit for the amp.
    I considered the Fulldrive tape echo as an option versus reverb, but I pulled the reigns in on that price point..

14. davebc

davebc Member

Tough for me to go from reverb to bone dry...even with it bouncing off the back wall, and outside there is no back wall..ha ha

I'm open to any ideas.

I mean damn, some of the Clapton bluesbreaker record has cranked Marshall tone swimming in reverb! And it's screams. Love it!

15. Purple_Plexi

Purple_Plexi Member

Depends on what you're looking for! If you're into that classic spring reverb sound the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus nails it IMO and also has tremolo, pretty much a simpler and cheaper version of the Flint :)
    If you're looking for something interesting and inspiring there's the Neunaber Wet/Shimmer/Slate. I personally love the modulated reverb of the Dispatch Master, but that's also a delay.
    Can't go wrong with a TC HOF I guess. I'd also throw in an EHX Holy Grail as an option.

16. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

RV7/Supernatural/Polara (whichever is cheapest used), Stereo Wet.

17. jordane93

jordane93 Member

What kind of reverb are you looking for? What guitar? What kind of music do you play?

18. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

I just went through the reverb search a few months ago .. listened/watched all the demos and read reviews and forums posts, etc. The safe bet seems like the TC HOF &/or the EHX Holy Grail (various versions or either.) That being said ....

While I like pedals that have a lot to offer, I do find that I would rather the versatility come within the focused-speciality. For example --> I chose the EQD Ghost Echo because it excels in Reverb sounds but with-in that, the controls allow me to dial in a great range of the effect. I use it for all sorts of genres: rock, blues, reggae, ambient, etc ..

So, I highly recommend the EQD Ghost Echo. EQD also just came out with a new version that has a few different features called the Leviatation: http://earthquakerdevices.com/cart_product.cfm/prod_id/81991/bk/1 I have not heard or seen any reviews for it but I would share that the Ghost Echo as is meets all of my needs and also works well with my delay pedal.

19. Purple_Plexi

Purple_Plexi Member

It's called Levitation :) Just came out, totally forgot about that one!

20. markham

markham Member

Hardwire/Digitech Supernatural is very nice. Surprisingly so. The spring sound is really impressive, IMO.