• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need a recommendation on a budget humbucking type guitar

ohreallynow

I started playing with a band again after not having played for several years. I have a few USACG guitars that I put together myself which I love but only one of them has a humbucker (the other two are a strat and a tele that are only routed for single coils.

I tried hot single coil pickups but have decided that I need an inexpensive guitar with humbuckers for some songs in the set / for a backup. We do mostly classic and hard rock.

Can anyone recommend one? I'd like to keep the budget under $500 (under $350 would be great if I could find something that was decent). I found a new PRS SE 245 locally for $500. I'm also considering the Schecters.

Don't want to go the Agile or Ep!iphone route as I'm not a huge fan of those.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
I just picked up a used Gibson Les Paul Studio because I was looking for the same reason. I really like the guitar and I'm sure you can find a used one in great shape in your price range. Probably at the $500 price range though.

IMG_0611_zpsc68eb053.jpg

IMG_0609_zps14ed2529.jpg

I was in your exact position last year. I was going from a strat to humbuckers. And I play classic to hard rock. I ended up getting a hagstrom ultra swede. It has coil splitting which is a bonus too if you want ti get back to the single coil sound If I did it again I would have gotten the ultra swede select which has different pickups. I found mine were too hot so I changed them.

Hagstrom make wonderful guitars. These necks however are very thin. I'm a small guy and the neck fits perfectly in my hand.

nateco

The les Paul studio tributes can be found in your price range used.$500....the P90 goldtop is actually pretty decent.

You could also find a used SG special.

sliberty

You should revisit Epiphone, especially the Pro models. The quality has improved enormously in recent years. Last year I bout a 335-Pro and a LP Std Plustop Pro, and both are excellent instruments.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
+1 on the used PRS SE suggestion - amazing quality & playability in the instrument and you can easily change out the pickups if they don't suit you. Play one of those before you decide on anything else... seriously good guitars. Used Reverends are a great value/player too and certainly worth a look. These days, I'd go there before Epi's, and others. From what I've seen most Les Paul Studios run from $850 to $950, but that could just be around me, in shops where you can play before you buy (not internet purchase). Good Hunting.

sliberty

The LP Studios are nice, if you can live with the stripped down aspects. No bindings (I am fine with that - I like Juniors), matt finish without wood filler, etc. I don't much like the finish. Also, the Mahogany Studios I have played didn't have neat fret ends at all.

tnjazz

Runs with scissors
Platinum Supporting Member
This is a bit of an off the wall suggestion, but you might try looking for an EBMM MusicMan Sub-1. They're US made guitars (out of production now) that can usually be had for cheap ($350-400ish usually)

I mention it because to me they play much like a strat in terms of feel, although they are HH. I just picked one up recently in a trade and was shocked at how well it played. It blows away all the LPs I have with the exception of my #1 and I daresay it gives that one a run for the money!

Maybe a little harder to find, but a US made guitar in that price range that plays and sounds fantastic is hard to beat.

Polyester

You did say no Epiphones so feel free to ignore this suggestion, but the Genesis reissues are absolutely killer guitars for the price (about $300). if I needed a new guitar with humbuckers for that kind of budget, it'd be my first stop.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom