Need A Strat- Approx 1k to spend- HELP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jujo, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

So, I'm gonna try to pick up a strat style guitar soon. My budget is around 1k- I'm happy to spend less though. I'm going to go out shopping this weekend. I will not buy a guitar that I haven't played (unless its a total steal). At this price point I'm probably only going to find Fenders.

So I ask what should I watch out for? I haven't owned a Fender guitar in 4yrs and I don't follow all their models. I'll be looking at a lot of used Fenders and some new ones too. Are there any particular models that are known to have been very reliable?

Thanks for any input...

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Shop used, a lot of people buy and sell Strats. I personally dislike the rosewood fingerboards and prefer to stick to skunk stripe maple necks. Two bolt trems are better than 6 bolt trems IMO as well. Otherwise happy hunting! Play the guitar unplugged and make sure the wood sings before you ever plug it in. Pickups and amps can lie.

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Here's a few recommendations:
    MIM Classic Player 50 or 60 ($799 new)
    2008 Am Standard($1000 new)
    American Deluxe($800-100 used)
    MIM Robert Cray(650 new)
    USA Highway One Strat($750 new)

These are a few to look for. IMO The MIM Classic Players are possibly the best "bang for the buck" strats out right now.

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I kinda like the Highway One models for some reason. They're neat.

5. codyj84

codyj84 Member

I know I push Rocketfire alot, but its because I seriously believe in his work so much. You should contact Nick at Rocketfire Guitars. Get a guitar built to YOUR specs and everything that you love. There is a small wait, but its totally worth it. I just commissioned my 3rd Rocketfire.

It would cost more than you have at present, but Nick only requires 1/2 up front. That would give you time to acquire the rest. And its not that much more.

Just my .02... Why buy somethin of the shelf when you can have YOUR guitar.

cody

6. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Barely used, tricked out Warmouths on ebay are a steal usually.

7. 5E3

5E3 Member

There are so many choices for Strats, you'll certainly find one. I like the American series, YMMV :) Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy the hunt!

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Yes. My choice would be either of the classic player strats.

9. jtm622

jtm622 Member

I think I'd just get a brand new American Standard with that grand... For $1000 (including the case) you just cannot go wrong.

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

find a used american srat and put in new pups and a callaham bridge. it'll sound sechs.

11. sega

sega Member

Hey,

I got my new 2008 strat for the price you are looking for brand new,so wether go new or classified ads.
    You will love the new 2008 Fender Stat american standard....just need to get the color you love and voila!!!

I got mine new with a Fender Deluxe 65 Reverb reissue and life is good.

12. 5E3

5E3 Member

How about some pics!!! :)

13. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Thanks for the input! So Fender is making good consistent guitars these days? Both in Mexico and the USA? This is why I'm asking you guys because Fender and Gibson go on these runs where they make good stuff and other times very bad stuff. For instance, I've tried a bunch of Gibsons over the past year and most of them were not quality builds.

I hope these classic players and USA standards have good size C or V necks without that damn sticky feeling on the back. Geez...

Any comments on the necks on these guitars?

14. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Find a good deal on an Am Dlx Strat. I got mine for under $1200 new.

GAD

15. Mr Meaner

Mr Meaner Member

I've got one on order haven't actually got it in my hands as of yet... codyj84 might have your answer from what I've seen so far from people that have ordered from RocketFire... That's getting closer to $.04... Do I hear $.06!!!

16. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

The Am Standards come with a modern "c" neck. It's real comfortable.
    The MIM Classic Player 50 has a soft "v" with 9.5" radius.
    The MIM Classic Player 60 has a "c" neck but a 12" radius.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

Of course if you want pure bliss find yourself an American Deluxe v neck strat in 2 tone sunburst. The SCN pickups are real sweet and the v neck is like an extension of your arm. It may exceed your budget if you buy a new one but it will be the best money you ever spend on a strat.:drool

17. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

+1 from my experience...I played every strat I could get my hands on from $500 to $2200 and went home with a classic players 60's.

18. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

If your going to spend that much money on a MIM classic player strat it would be worth a couple hundred more to get a new American Standard IMO. I owned a classic player 50's and 60's for awhile and took both back for the AS.

IMO, the CP-50's had the best pu's of the lot, including the AS. However, that neck didn't feel like a soft V to me. My EJ strat has a soft V and it's not nearly as sharp as the one on the CP-50'. If you like this kind of neck this is a really great guitar.

The CP-60's neck felt big to me and for some reason I just didn't like it very much. I thought the pu's in the CP-50's were much better. I don't really know why I didn't like this one because the quality was very good. Maybe I just got hold of a stinker.

The new American Standard's are good all around Strat's. I don't really have any criticism's for this guitar. Quality of the new Strat's is very consistent from what I've seen.

If you don't need a tremolo, the MIM Robert Cray that was mentioned previously may be the best bang for the buck strat IMO. The pu's in this guitar are really nice.

19. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Cool dudes. Thanks again for the input. At least I feel that I have a few recommendations going into my shopping phase. I'm going to play them dry before plugging them in as I know good wood is most important. Too bad GC is so damn noisy all the time!

20. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Well you guys were right. I went play testing today. The Fenders were pretty decent. Man, last time I checked out Fenders I was horrified! Not this time. Each one I played stayed in tune, even with tremolo use. I didn't feel any frets poking out of the necks either.

I liked the MIM Classic Player 60s the best. I preferred it to the American Standard, EJ, Mayer, and a relic. I'm going to try out some used guitars over the weekend. I thought the Classic Player held up pretty good. I've played a bunch of boutique strats over the years so I know how good things can get. Considering the price the CP was right on the money. I'd like to test the the CP against some more expensive guitars. I'll be sure to play some over the weekend.

1 problem- the truss rod adjustment is at the heel. Me no likey. I live in Chicago and my necks need to be adjusted twice a year usually.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008