Need a string tree with a Floyd and staggered tuners

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
I'm putting together a parts guitar with a Floyd and a sustainiac for sh*ts and giggles.

It occurred to me that for a strat style headstock, I could probably forego the string tree behind the locking nut if I used staggered tuners. True statement?

I would think that should keep the strings from going sharp when the locking nut gets tightened down. Or at least enough so that I could easily dial a little bit out with the fine tuners????

Donkey smell.

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
My understanding is that on a non-angled headstock, like a Strat, you need one to adjust the angle at which the strings enter the back of the nut to prevent the strings from going sharp once you tighten the nut down.

I was hoping that with staggered tuners I wouldn't need the tree. Besides looking goofy, they're a minor PITA.

charvelheadstockver2_zpsa5d2cc92.jpg

XSSIVE

D'Avanzo Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
My understanding is that on a non-angled headstock, like a Strat, you need one to adjust the angle at which the strings enter the back of the nut to prevent the strings from going sharp once you tighten the nut down.

I was hoping that with staggered tuners I wouldn't need the tree. Besides looking goofy, they're a minor PITA.

You are correct, no matter what tuners you use a string retainer bar is needed with a floyd or when you lock the strings at the nut without one they'll always go sharp. Look how far down the low E is pushed onto the nut in that pic you posted, staggered tuners won't do that. The string needs to make contact with the entire surface of the nut. Without the bar there they'll only touch the front edge like a normal nut then when clamped down that's where they go sharp as they flatten down to touch the rest of the nut.

23 Fretz

You are correct, no matter what tuners you use a string retainer bar is needed with a floyd or when you lock the strings at the nut without one they'll always go sharp. Look how far down the low E is pushed onto the nut in that pic you posted, staggered tuners won't do that. The string needs to make contact with the entire surface of the nut. Without the bar there they'll only touch the front edge like a normal nut then when clamped down that's where they go sharp as they flatten down to touch the rest of the nut.

+1

Can't explain it any better than this.

Top Bottom