Need a tuner with a caveat

greendc30

Silver Supporting Member
I am looking for a tuner pedal that once engaged on will come back in the on position if the power is cut to it.

I currently have a Polytune, but when I cut the power to my board and then turn it on again next gig or practice, I have to re-engage the pedal.

This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but I have a big board, and the Polytune's on/off switch is under a tier of other pedals. It's rather a pain to get to it, and I'd rather have something described above.

Anyone have a newer Korg Pitchblack Custom? Does it do what I want?

Or any other tuners?

Thanks in advance.

Gibs210

pretty sure any true-bypass tuner should do this for you
So long as it's not a relay based true bypass, which is what the poly tune is. Relay bypasses require a voltage to hold them in the on (sometimes off) state, so when you cut the power, the relay defaults to the off (or on if the opposite is true) state.

Short answer, any pedal with a mechanical switch (the clicky 3pdt kind) will do what you want.

LSMFT6

We brake for nobody
Gold Supporting Member
I am looking for a tuner pedal that once engaged on will come back in the on position if the power is cut to it.

I currently have a Polytune, but when I cut the power to my board and then turn it on again next gig or practice, I have to re-engage the pedal.

This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but I have a big board, and the Polytune's on/off switch is under a tier of other pedals. It's rather a pain to get to it, and I'd rather have something described above.

Anyone have a newer Korg Pitchblack Custom? Does it do what I want?

Or any other tuners?

Thanks in advance.

The Turbo Tuner does it (ST-300, mini and standard)
It doesn't come set that way from the factory, but it's a very easy change to make (hold down one of the buttons and connect the power, that sort of thing)
Plus it's the best tuner ever

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I concur. Turbo Tuner ST-200 is a solid switch stays on or off regardless of power pmsupply. Added benefit is the battery only is connected when on, so if you leave it plugged in but off, battery will not drain.

I can't vouch for the ST-300 and mini because I believe they switched to a soft of silent switch and might have added a relay switching system.

John K.

The Turbo Tuner does it (ST-300, mini and standard)
It doesn't come set that way from the factory, but it's a very easy change to make (hold down one of the buttons and connect the power, that sort of thing)
Plus it's the best tuner ever
Is that the actual way to do it? Can't seem to find it online and I'm away from my board right now. I've got the ST-300 mini but it's got a soft switch so idk

LSMFT6

We brake for nobody
Gold Supporting Member
Is that the actual way to do it? Can't seem to find it online and I'm away from my board right now. I've got the ST-300 mini but it's got a soft switch so idk

Not sure if it's anywhere on the Sonic Research site but I found it on TalkBass:

-unplug the power and wait 10 seconds
-hold down the left button (Cal)
-plug in power

This will only work if the pedal has the newest software. If you bought it new when they very first came out, it won't have that software and you'll have to install it (see the SR site for that, let me know if you can't find it) but all pedals made/sold after the first few months of production now have the latest software. There should be more pedals that have the correct software than those that don't, they've been out for a while now

John K.

Not sure if it's anywhere on the Sonic Research site but I found it on TalkBass:

-unplug the power and wait 10 seconds
-hold down the left button (Cal)
-plug in power

This will only work if the pedal has the newest software. If you bought it new when they very first came out, it won't have that software and you'll have to install it (see the SR site for that, let me know if you can't find it) but all pedals made/sold after the first few months of production now have the latest software. There should be more pedals that have the correct software than those that don't, they've been out for a while now
Thanks!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
yep!

my old st-200s are mechanically "on" regardless, while my st-300 mini needed a firmware update which then allowed it to be set to always power up in the "on" state.

(i set up my pedalboards with split-offs so that the tuner is always working whether i'm muted or not, perfect for quick spot checks while playing especially with the turbos because they track so fast.)

greendc30

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the input gents. I have been eyeing a st-300 for a while. Guess it's time to jump.

Banditt

I liked the st-300 mini for it's size, but went with the full size model. The mini does not allow you to "hear" your signal as you tune....you stomp on it to tune, and it cuts your signal. Not well explained in the literature I saw prior...but important to me. Very nice, well build units...

greendc30

Silver Supporting Member
I liked the st-300 mini for it's size, but went with the full size model. The mini does not allow you to "hear" your signal as you tune....you stomp on it to tune, and it cuts your signal. Not well explained in the literature I saw prior...but important to me. Very nice, well build units...

The signal I'd have going to the tuner is from a "tuner out." So, I'd still be able to "hear" the signal. But thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom