Need a versatile dual OD for my board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarputt83, Dec 6, 2017.

1. guitarputt83

guitarputt83 Member

I'm making a small board for this cover band I will playing with.
    Will be playing mostly classic rock, some country, some older pop hits, etc... Nothing too heavy. ACDC/Deep Purple would be about as heavy as they go.
    Looking for a versatile dual overdrive to cover a lot of ground.
    Would love to hear recommendations. I was thinking of trying a Wampler since I've heard good things about their pedals.
    Thanks.

2. danipman

danipman Member

Favorite overdrive and a mooer or Donner boost. About the same size, alot more control over volume, tone and gain. Not locked into anything. That being said, I have an AMP 11, but to be honest, I usually use the drive and boost separately. The COT 50 side is really great. I then have a Donner Boost Killer at the end of the chain for a solo boost.

Primus DuPont likes this.
  3. bdj

bdj Member

Foxrox Zim

Killshakes likes this.
  4. jota

jota Member

My favorite is the KoT cause it works great with all my amps.

hippieboy likes this.
  5. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I have had GREAT luck over the past several years using a Wampler Brent Mason Hotwired OD. One side is a light-to-medium overdrive, similar to a Tube screamer but not as dark and not as "middy"... a bit more drive available, too. The other side is a Distortion, but it's pretty light as distortions go. It can get into DS-1 or SD-1 type territory, but it's FAR more organic and amp-like than those. Both sides have multi-position toggles to change the character of the two sides. I had it configured to give me a light crunch, then a medium-ish overdrive, and then stacked to give a heavier, 3rd level of drive. all in one pedal using a single 9V power input. Worked great on every amp I used it with too. I may actually be selling mine, as I have moved to a Helix now and no longer use any of my pedals.

Another that is good, if you like heavier and darker tones, is the JHS Sweet Tea. I used one of these for about a year... sounds AMAZING - tube screamer on one side, and a Angry Charlie distortion on the other... also had character toggles and a switch to change the order of the pedals... expensive though, and i ended up selling it because it was just way too much drive for my tastes.

metrokosmiko likes this.
  6. 71strat

71strat Member

1 of these. Take your pick of which is best for you.

DUAL BAND INTRODUCTION BY ROGER MAYER
    SYNERGY SERIES OVERVIEW

[​IMG]

The ability to mix two different distortion sounds in parallel and also control them individually is available in the Synergy Series. The advantage of parallel mixing produces greater flexibility and increases the number sounds available.
    Using a chain of effects has many limitations due to the fact one pedal grealtly influences the next and so on.
    Parallel mixing is the basis for all recording systems used by recording studios and of course this is how we produced many of Jimi's sounds.
    The 5 pedals in the Synergy Series contain a selection from our range of distortion circuits that have already a proven track record with our artists and users. Select each one individually or use a blend to form new sounds.
    There is also the added advantage of having access to two pedals plus mixing for a little more than the price of a single effect.

MAIN FEATURES
    2 EFFECTS IN ONE BOX with a saving in cost and space.
    MULTI-MODE OUTPUTS: True Bypass and Buffered Outputs.
    LOW NOISE TRIPLE SHIELDED: 6 layer PC Card with internal shielding.
    BYPASS SWITCH IS USA CARLING for ultimate reliability.
    RAPID BATTERY CHANGE: Front Panel Slides open, No screws and very fast and easy.
    CONTROLS
    HIGH BAND DRIVE - This sets the amount of distortion from almost nil up to virtually unlimited sustain.
    HIGH BAND EQ - A combination circuit tailored for the High Band tonal characteristics.
    LOW BAND DRIVE - This sets the Low Band distortion to the desired level.
    LOW BAND EQ- Optimised Low Band EQ
    MIX - Blend the Low Band and High Band sounds together and use to hear each section individually. Fully clockwise will select the Low Band and fully anti-clockwise the High Band.
    OUTPUT - Set the Output Level from unity gain up to level boost required.

Voodoo XX
    New ! !

DUAL BAND
    VOODOO-1 + VOODOO-BASS

If you desire sustain and articulation in your tone without nasty artifacts that detract away from your riffs this combination is for you. The Voodoo XX represents a big step forward in this direction and the blending of these acclaimed circuits must be heard. Many top players already use both of these circuits and now you have the choice of both to adjust and blend together. A good choice for both rock and metal music styles. MORE

[​IMG]

Voodoo TT
    New ! !

DUAL BAND
    VOODOO-1 + VOODOO-BOOST

This choice has been selected to provide open sounds from The Voodoo-Boost or the classic Voodoo-1 sounds featured by users Mike Landau. The Voodoo-Boost is a very interactive pedal with an amplifier and the TT combination provides the possibility of having a more open sound blended with a tight distortion. This is a great sounding pedal for more open sounding rock riffs whilst still giving smooth sustain when needed. MORE

[​IMG]

Kuro Kage
    New ! !

DUAL BAND
    SPITFIRE and MONGOODSE

KURO KAGE: aka "BLACK SHADOW"
    These two classic circuits are our probably most popular circuits for Rock orientated music. They have stood the test of time and many famous bands still use them. They are not at all nasal sounding cleaning up superbly with the use of the guitar volume control. Now you can experience the unlimited combination of blending both tone and distortion to the nth degree with the Kuro Kage. MORE

[​IMG]

Voodoo Bass 2
    New ! !

DUAL BAND
    VOODOO-BASS and VOODOO-BASS X

Bass Guitar players as well as Heavy Metal players who use drop tunings are already using the Voodoo-Bass extensively. The new Voodoo-Bass X circuit when blended with the original Voodoo-Bass brings a new meaning to low end drive and control and you can feel as well as hear the difference as you explore new sonic control over the Low End. This is a serious pedal for Bass Players and Guitar Players who seek out low end crunch. MORE

[​IMG]

Metalloid
    DUAL BAND
    VOODOO-LOW X and VOODOO-HIGH X

The Dual Band Metalloid brings separate control to the low and high notes of the guitar's range and is best visualised as two distortion units in parallel acting on different parts of the guitar and then blended or mixed together to form one sound. The amount of control and ease by which you can build up your ultimate tone is truly new. The traditional series connection method of connecting pedals has reached it's end of development and you will enjoy this new found freedom of tone control. MORE
    [​IMG]

Synergy Series
    The Synergy Series brings parallel path processing and recording studio-mixing quality to our range of distortion pedals. Each pedal has two separate distortion sections that are driven by internal splitter circuitry and then mixed back together. The Low and High Band circuit paths have been carefully chosen from our extensive range of tried and critically acclaimed distortion, fuzz and overdrive circuits. It is best visualised as two separate channels with individual control of the important parameters and then mixed together to form one sound.

The Low and High Band circuit path channels have individual Drive and EQ controls that been optimised for the type of circuit being used. The resulting range of sounds available is truly immense as varying amounts and types of Processing and EQ can be applied to each channel or band and then mixed together. This is a technique we used in the studio with Jimi to get the required tone. Using various pedals in series or equalisation will not accomplish this as processing is then applied sequentially and to the whole frequency range. The advantages of this technique become immediately apparent upon playing the units. The amount of flexibility in adjusting the tone is truly immense and these boxes will appeal to those players that seek out and appreciate the subtleties of manipulating their tone to the highest level.

It should not also be forgotten that there is a financial saving as well as in fact you are getting two pedals for one plus a splitter and mixer for about 120% of the price of one of our single units. You also have a space saving on your pedal board with a very flexible unit that will produce more tonal variation that you can imagine. MORE INFO

Guitar Player USA Metalloid Review

7. guitarputt83

guitarputt83 Member

I've heard nothing but great things about the normal and high gain versions, but the wait list for these is just too long for me.

8. guitarputt83

guitarputt83 Member

Thanks for the detailed information. That Brent Mason pedal really interests me. Digging the different flavors of dirt. That box is a strong contender.
    The Sweat Tea seems awesome as well, but may be more drive than I'll use live. Would still be fun to own though. Killer tones and I play that kind of material for fun as well. We live in a golden age of pedals. Wish I got the chance to play more of these. I usually have to shop online and trust reviews.

9. 6StringStrummer

6StringStrummer Silver Supporting Member

I have played in a number of cover bands and the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet pedal has been my go to dual overdrive pedal. I run mine at 18v for a little more headroom. Pedal sounds great and cover lots of ground!!

10. PFDarkside

PFDarkside Member

Any particular reason you want a dual OD? Two separate ones give so much variety. For example, I've had great success with a Wampler Pinnacle and a Fulldrive 2. I can go from:
    -Clean
    -Low/mid gain drive (FD2)
    -"TS Style" (FD2 w/ boost on)
    -Crunch (Pinnacle)
    -Sustaining solo (FD2 -> Pinnacle)

I will say that the Wampler dual pedals all do look very nice.

11. guitarputt83

guitarputt83 Member

Between having to replace my roof and my wife and I having our 1st son on the way, I was told to keep the cost around 300. Happy wife...happy life lol

12. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

The Hotwired really is a great pedal. It's not overwhelmingly harsh or smooth, nor is it too middy or too dark, it's kind a "just right". Sounds phenomenal in front of a Fender Tweed, or a Dr Z. Great in front of other amps (BF, Marshall, etc..) but it seems to be perfect for an amp that has enough of it's own mids but not too gainy on it's own (the amp). It's also NOT NOISY... that was an issue I had with some dirt boxes... just too noisy if I pushed the gain too high, and some of them tend to fall apart at higher gain settings. Not the Hotwired. tight, grindy, juicy goodness.

13. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I see that you post these in every dual OD thread. How do you switch between the two overdrives? Is the single foot-switch a dual function switch?

johnetone and 71strat like this.
  14. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Dual fusion, king of blues

59Bassman likes this.
  15. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

The visual sound / truetone VS-XO fits your description perfectly. Very versatile, great build, sounds awesome. I'm a dirt pedal nerd and that thing just works so well. Many other dirt boxes have come and gone, and that guy just stays put on the board.

henryjurstin13 likes this.
  16. 71strat

71strat Member

MIX - Blend the Low Band and High Band sounds together and use to hear each section individually. Fully clockwise will select the Low Band and fully anti-clockwise the High Band.

Say youre going to use a TT as an example.

Fully to the Left, HIGH PASS and you have the Mayer Classic 1 Distortion Pedal.

Fully to the RIGHT, LOW PASS, and you have the Mayer Voodoo Boost Pedal.

The Individual EQ, and Drive allows to EQ each side individually, and then MIX them.

But as far as a foot switch for each side. NO.

17. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  18. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Keeley D&M? Truetone Jekyll & Hyde? VS-XO?

johnetone likes this.
  19. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I know you mentioned the Sweet Tea, but sounds like the Double Barrel would be a better fit. I have the previous version, and it is great for versatile covers use. I set it up with the MG side as low gain bluesy and the TS side classic-rock cranked. Stacked with the MG into the TS, you get a fat boosted lead tone. And you could probably find the previous version used for well under your budget. Worth a look...

Fretlessbaby likes this.
  20. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

KOT all.the.way. It's an amazing pedal - extremely flexible. A bit pricey, but worth every penny! I purchased my KOT new and almost doubled my money after 3 years, have been looking for a replacement ever since. Needless to say, I'm back on the list!

I recently bought a JHS Kilt, and have really been enjoying it, too. Not quite "dual OD" territory as one side is just a boost, great tones though. I've all but settled on it for now.