Need a versatile dual OD for my board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarputt83, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM.

1. Thetoygarden

Thetoygarden Supporting Member

2. Tabor

Tabor Member

just to toss out a few that (I think) haven't been mentioned:
    Snouse Blue-Line
    Keeley D&M
    FoxRox Festival
    Hungry Robot LG HG
    EQD Grey Channel

johnetone and sanfi4u like this.
  3. jota

jota Member

My KoT is actually a clone and there's a few out there you can get while your name doesn't get to the top of the list.
    Other nice choice is the Keeley D&M.

4. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Look no further than the Suhr Eclipse.

TheSmeeze007, 59Bassman and johnetone like this.
  5. plico

plico Member

I play similar music with my cover band and I have a Keeley D&M. the possibility to change the order of the two channels when stacking them makes it a very versatile pedal: you have 4 tones with a single unit.
    highly recommended

johnetone likes this.
  6. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Welll technically he's right in that you more than quadruple your available options if you go single pedals. Plus that way you get to pick the stack order. In most cases double pedals don't save you $$$ with a few exceptions.

You should check out the Lovepedal flash sales. These two would handle everything you need in a cover band.

Start with Jubilee, Marshall kerrang for $56.

[​IMG]

Then set this after it Boost>Light OD. $156.

[​IMG]

So basically miab>boost>light od for $212 shipped, so 3 pedal actually. Boost after miab for lead boost, boost into OD or just use boost on its own into amp for that hairy edge of clean for pop rock.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  8. DPiddy

DPiddy Supporting Member

9. johnetone

johnetone Member

Based on your description of types of bands, the Keeley D+M is probably your best bet.

But I think the FoxRox Festival and Chase Bliss Brothers are also incredible!

Killshakes likes this.
  10. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

My thoughts exactly.

11. HesNot

HesNot Member

Agreed. Low Gain, Higher Gain, and a clean boost. The voice and bandwidth give the widest range of options I've heard in a drive pedal - seriously there are a lot of combinations and it would be hard to not find at least a couple usable to great sounds.

DPiddy likes this.
  12. cyangusa

cyangusa Member

Bogner Blue Ectasy will give little drive to high medium gain drive. Make sure you play with pre EQ and Structure switch.
    I like blue better than Red or La Grange, especially if you want low to medium gain. You will enjoy first time you hear it, but if you really adjust with EQ setting which you have low medium and high, you can get any tone you want. Most of the time I use Plexi side, but if you want more gain, put it on Blue side than you will definitely here higher territory of Marshall sound. Mind you this is not JCM 800 or moded territory.

13. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

The Palisades is a cool idea, but the pedal has to be on in order to use the boost, which very lame, IMO.

14. Unchained81

Unchained81 Member

The MXR Double Double is intended for exactly what you're describing. It's an OCD and Tube Screamer in one.

15. macki

macki Member

My recommendations would be an Empress Multidrive or a Source Audio LA Lady (or any of their “drives” - they are all the same under the “hood”)

LordByron likes this.
  16. cosmogs

cosmogs Member

Strymon Sunset is truly amazing. That being said, I was really impressed by JHS Sweet Tea. Had a hard time choosing when I was looking for a dual drive. Would still choose the Sunset, but only by a very small margin. Check`em out!

17. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Supporting Member

I love these combo pedals...but you're on a budget.
    Get a Soul Food, a cheap Tube Screamer and a Joyo Ultimate Drive and take your wife out to dinner with the change

18. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

Bogner Blue or Keeley D&M Drive would be my choices.

I like the blue for its amplike feel. You can leave it on all night and use your volume knob on your guitar for different levels of dirt and kick on the boost for your solos and over the top stuff.

The D&M seems like the perfect all around Drive Pedal, but I admit I haven’t gotten to play one yet.

19. guitarputt83

guitarputt83 Member

I actually just won a new PRS SE KESTREL in a contest(I don't play bass haha) Trying to sell that and then I'll have plenty of dough for the pedal. I appreciate all the recommendations,especially since I haven't heard of many of them. Definitely alot of options. Keeley D&M Drive, Wampler, EQD palisades ,JHS, bogner blue .. I'll have to check out more demos. Wish we had more music stores around here to try stuff out. Earthquake Devices is actually 30 mins down the road, wonder if they'll let me swing by lol.

20. Dunzie

Dunzie Supporting Member

I’ve owned a couple good dual OD pedals but because I run a loop switcher on my board I almost prefer singles. Having said that I have the Wampler Paisley Deluxe and it’s fantastic. Two very complementary sides that work great alone or stacked and the best part is they can run together in either order or even run totally separately as two single pedals which I like.

The Z Drive is pretty good and I’ve had the Dual Fusion as well. Both do the job. For less money I really liked the Truetone VS-XO as well and likely more than those other two.

But the Paisley Deluxe’s “Underdog” side is a great mid gain rock crunch and the Paisley side is a chunkier TS style. Both sides have lots of tweak ability too which I like.