Need a very modest (but decent) multi-FX pedal. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ddeand, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ddeand

ddeand Supporting Member

I’m going to be swapping amps with my son, and the amp I’m getting is a basic 6-watt tube amp (VHT Special 6). He’ll get my Vox AV30 which is a modeling amp with a few effects. He has two other tube amps, so he’s not losing that aspect of his setup. The modeling amp will give him more flexibilty for getting different sounds for home recording. I, on the other hand, seldom need that much flexibility. I only play at home, and I use mostly reverb - but I like to play around with other settings to amuse myself. So I’m looking to get a basic multi-FX pedal that will cover lots of basic sounds. I’ll go the used route and am looking to spend as little as possible (relative to the quality of the pedal). I’m looking for suggestions for a basic pedal that will deliver adequete effects sounds. Any suggestions?

2. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Fly Rig?

-bEn r.

CDP and ddeand like this.
  3. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

Zoom has a few that would probably fit your needs, and they aren't too expensive either...

ddeand likes this.
  4. ddeand

ddeand Supporting Member

Haven’t had a Fly before, but I’ve had couple Zooms. I just can’t remember which might be best. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. thevelourfog

thevelourfog Member

M5 perhaps? A plethora of effects for under $100 used.

Fretlessbaby and ddeand like this.
  6. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Tech 21 Fly Rig 5. Tons of options/flavors out there now.

I bought the first one they made and it's great! I used it to go direct in a few different bands, just a 1/4" instrument cable right to the board (no DI needed unless you are going over a LONG distance). Simple to use & dial-in, does what it needs to do. I especially like how you can use the Boost without engaging the Plexi section.

Fretlessbaby and ddeand like this.
  7. dedezelic

dedezelic Supporting Member

Zoom MS70-CDR is great for this use. Pretty much any effect you could want for cheap. Sounds pretty good too.

ddeand likes this.
  8. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

L6 M - series. Look at the M9 or 13. The M5 suggested above is a great swiss army knife, but only one effect at a time.
    Boss GT - 1

ddeand likes this.
  9. Wolfgangsta

Wolfgangsta Supporting Member

You ought to check out the Zoom G1 Four or the MS50G. I have the MS and love it.

ddeand likes this.
  10. scott58

scott58 Member

I've got a POD HD500 with my Special 6. Does everything your looking for plus.

ddeand likes this.
  11. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

Line 6 M5

ddeand likes this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

The newest line of digital multi effect pedals from Zoom are quite cheap but more importantly also sounds great, they have better processors build in than their older line, to which their multi effect stomp boxes belong, and also utilizes a more advanced modeling technology, emulating the behaviour of the individual components of the effects, just like the modeling technique used for more expensive digital multi effects like the Line 6 Helix pedals.

As said their stomp box multi effects like the Zoom MS-50G and the Zoom MS-70 CDR utilizes the old modeling technology of their older line of pedals, but still sounds pretty good.

The Zoom G1 Four and Zoom G1X Four are the cheapest and most scraped versions of their pedals using the newer technology, they have slightly less effects build in than the bigger models and only 2 foot switches to operate the units, which can make patch switching a bit circumstantial and switching between individual effects practically impossible to do on the fly while playing, the X version additionally having an expression pedal build in, these are capable at running up to 5 effects simultaneously.

If I wanted something small and really cheap I'd personally get the Zoom G1 Four or Zoom G1X Four over the Zoom MS-50G or Zoom MS-70 CDR, since while the G1 Four and G1X Four doesn't have quite as many effects build in to chose from, the quality of those effects are of a good deal better quality, also you get much better functionality with much easier switching between preset patches, an additional expression pedal if you buy the X version, and all the while they will just take up slightly more space and can be had for just a minimally higher price than the multi stomp boxes.

For slightly more build in effects and easier operation and switching between individual effects, patches and banks there's the Zoom G3n and Zoom G3Xn, each equipped with 6 foot switches, the X version with an additional expression pedal, and the capability to run a maximum of 7 effects simultaneously.

Finally there is their biggest model the Zoom G5n, which is equipped with 9 foot switches, has a build in expression pedal, can run a maximum of 9 effects simultaneously, but has the same number of build in effects as the Zoom G3n and Zoom G3Xn.

In my opinion you can't get any better digital multi effects in that price range, and personally I think they are even better sounding than some a bit more expensive solutions like the Boss GT-1, and without doubt better sounding than the older digital Line 6 effects from the M series and PODs.

I'd actually even dare say that unless you decide to go all in and invest in something more high end, like for instance one of the Line 6 Helix pedals, Zoom's newer digital multi effects are about the best you can get, and that's for a fraction of the price.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    ddeand likes this.
  13. Metalflange

Metalflange Supporting Member

Grab up a Line 6 hd 500 those things go cheap now and sound great!

ddeand and scott58 like this.
  14. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

I'm going to suggest the Line 6 M13 for a very specific reason: it will let you have any 4 effects at one time, and for every instance of every effect that you have loaded, all its parameters are exposed and each one of those parameters has a dedicated, physical knob.

It is luxurious.

ddeand likes this.
  15. ddeand

ddeand Supporting Member

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I appreciate the input and am doing my research now.

16. kramm47

kramm47 Member

I use a Boss GT-1 every week. It's been great.

There was a small learning curve but there's a series of short YouTube videos which helped a great deal. Watching all of them took about 30 minutes.

It's much easier to dial in the sounds you want with the computer interface, which is intuitive and rather fun.

Tons of sounds and flexibility. I've built several patches for simple effects like analog delay and chorus which work wonderfully.

Used on reverb for $150 shipped.

Good luck!

ddeand likes this.