Need Acoustic-Electric purchase advice...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by mmcquain, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

I am selling my Taylor T5 and plan to get a new acoustic/electric with part of the money (need to pay some bills with the balance). I will need to replace it with a more traditional acoustic/electric (i.e., not a thinline body like the T5), which I plan to use twice a month for a ursing home sing-a-long (unplugged) and at church (plugged in).

I primarily play electric guitar so I'm very used to a low action with lighter (9-46) strings. On the T5 I was using Bronze D'Addario EJ15 strings (10-47) and would like to find something that sounds decent with this lighter guage set and has a low action. I need to keep the price in up to $1000 range. I've been thinking about Alvarez, Taylor, Seagull, Takamine, etc. I've also heard good things about the Epiphone MasterBuilt series. So any recommendations you can give me would be much appreciated.

FYI - IMO the T5 is a great sounding and playing guitar and I'd highly recommend it. However, I just don't need that type of setup as I'm not using the extra pickup settings on the 5-way selector switch (i.e., I never play it as an electric guitar) - and thus I'm not utilizing it to its full potential.

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I'd take a hard look at Takamine.....and don't forget Ovation if you can get around the body.

For all solid wood...in your price range......Larrivee 03 series.....then add your own electronics.

3. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

+1 on the Larrivee 03 series. I would also Check out the Breedlove Atlas AC25/SR Plus.

4. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

For my money the Guild GAD series is a killer bang for the buck ratio.

5. Ed Packer

Ed Packer Silver Supporting Member

Gibson J-185 -EC - does it all, IMHO

6. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

In the $1,000.00 price range?

7. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

IMHO one of the best sounding live/stage acoustics around. The CoolTube Pre-amp is great and the guitar is very very well built. I no longer use mine so if you're interested PM me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]VIEW LARGERTF341DLX

6 String Acoustic / Electric

Body Shape:Dreadnought C/ARosette:AbaloneTop:Solid CedarInlays:Abalone SnowflakesBack:Solid MahoganySides:MahoganyFingerboard:RosewoodElectronics:CTP-1Tuners:Chrome & PearlFeatures:Features the new CTP-1 Cool Tube Preamp.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Gloss Black
    [​IMG]CoolTube
    On-board tube preamp with bass and treble tone controls, semi-parametric midrange, a second-source input and ​

8. rollingdam

rollingdam Member

Try to finf one of the Australian Cole Clark guitars-best pickup system by far.

9. JJK

JJK Member