Need Advice...3k for a les paul style guitar

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by ccollins, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ccollins

ccollins Member

First of all, I want to thank you for your time spent with me and your advice...

Here is my situation:
    I have about 3k +/- if need be to spend on a guitar. I really want a gibson les paul 59' spec guitar with a carved flame maple top. I can really care less if it says gibson on the headstock! I just tend to believe that if I were to buy an actual current model gibson I would be paying more for the name than the craftsmanship. I bet there are some small luthiers that can build a comparable if not better guitar at a fraction of the price.

Anyway, please let me know what you would do in my situation. Is there a particular builder you would recomend (like Ed Roman j/k!!!).

Thanks again for your time.

2. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

I would buy a used Baker B1/59, killer guitar that should be right around that price point. They are only going to go up in value and have tons of Les Paul vibe with WAY better build quality and attention to detail. If you have to go new I would recommend looking at a Gibson 58 VOS, probably around that price and hey, you said you wanted a Les Paul!

Scott

3. HK-47

HK-47 Member

^i have a stupid question... what does VOS mean?

anyway, back to the topic. while i haven't played one, scott heatley's tradition model gets great reviews around here, and its base price as listed on his website is $2200.

4. MOJO

MOJO Member

I'D highly recommend Scott also...

look thru the gallery at the bottom of this link page for examples..

great stuff and great guy also. currently he's building me a tele type guitar and he's been an absolute pleasure to deal with

http://www.heatleyguitars.com/tradition.html

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

If you don't mind buying used, you can usually score 2 TCM Taurus standards for that price (for now at least). They have a longer scale than a Gibson, so you won't nail that LP tone 100%, but the quality of the instrument is head and shoulders above most LP's I've seen or played. You'd have to pay well over 3k for a similar quality LP.

I'd also suggest that you take a look at McNaught, and if you can find one for under 3k, a Baker Crucible.

You might be able to pick up a used Grosh set neck for that kind of money too, but you will have to be real quick on the draw.

Good luck! :)

6. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/VOS/index.html

It's Gibson's new Historic line, Vintage Original Spec. They have all the accurate hardware, wiring, caps etc. so no need to swap out the pots & wiring as soon as you buy the guitar. The finish is also supposed to be real thin nitro, looks old right out of the box. They look real nice!

P.S. TCM's are wonderful guitars but completely miss the whole Les Paul vibe thing. I had a Namm Polaris that was wonderful but not at all a Gibson type of tone or feel. My $.02

Scott

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

New R7, period.

VOS finish, pleck'ed, hard to beat.

8. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

Probably the easiest and most cost efficient way to Les Paul tonal nirvana.

Scott

9. enharmonic

Point well taken, but a Polaris is not a Taurus.

10. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I'd just look around for the "right" Lester... I bought this via ebay (in your pricerange) and out of 6 Les Pauls that I've owned, this is my fav. I've had handmade guitars, but this is what I always wanted...
    [​IMG]

11. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

Point well taken, but a Taurus is not a Les Paul. :D It's kinda apples and oranges to me. The Baker is very much in the Les Paul vein, while the TCM is not. I highly doubt that Terry was ever shooting for that kind of tone in designing his guitars. They are very much there own kind of thing, not am imitation of other guitars. I really enjoyed the Polaris but it ended up being too long of a scale and kinda odd feeling string tension wise. Sounded cool though. Some other possibilities I would throw out there would be either Heritage or Hamer, Gibson vibe and high quality for less money.

P.S. Love the top on that LP Patrick!

Scott

12. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

That'd be my vote as well. But no flame there if that's really important to you.

13. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

14. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

Thanks, Scott!

(Did you notice that the bridge pu is 1/8" too far back? I didn't think so. Me neither.)

15. enharmonic

I noted the difference in scale length. I didn't note the advantage of splitting the coils on the TCM. For about half of what he's willing to spend, he could get a guitar that is as good if not better than any guitar in that price range. I think it was GP that likened the Taurus to the "Lexus" of the single cutaway style guitar. I was just offering a suggestion that gives tremendous bang for the buck :)

I agree with you on Heritage and Hamer...even more bang for the buck used than a TCM. All things being equal, if I were going for the "LP but better" thing, I'd start with Baker, Grosh, and McNaught, but certainly wouldn't rule out Hamer or Heritage.

Lots of great suggestions on this thread...plenty to consider. The hard part will be finding all of these in one place (or even a few places) to try out. :dude

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I actually at one point was trying to figure out if I wanted to get a custom SC and if you want to spent all of $3K you should get a custom build tailored to what you want. Several small builders told me it would be around $2800-3200.
    In the end I got a used J Nunis for half the price (and I got another one to compare traditional vs. modern which is now for sale)
    plenty of choices. With the "real" thing from Gibson I've had about 4 '59 RIs and two were great and 1 was rather muddy.

17. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

If you want a custom built LP style guitar I would go with either a Heatley or a Thorn. They cost around the same or less (depending on the options) than Gibson's Custom shop stuff and you can get them built to suite your exact wants and needs.

18. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Look for one of the R7 Stingers from Music Machines 2003 commissioning from the CS with the R0 neck profile(or R9 profile) those guitars simply are the most toneful I know of-at 3K$ with Braz fingerboard from Jan-May 2003.

19. FredW

FredW Member

I would look for a 99-2002 used 59 historic, like the ones Patrick posted. I love my 99 R9 and if you really want the LP tone, I don't think you will be satisfied with anything else.