Need advice about recording on ibook

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ratkent, May 19, 2006.

1. ratkent

ratkent Member

I have the chance to get a really great deal on an ibook with a 1.33 processor and I am wondering how well it will handle recording. I use Cubase and I have a Presonus Firebox and what I am wanting to do is record demos while I'm on the road. I want to use EZDrummer and a guitar amp sim program (Amplitube, Guitar Rig or whatever) and have everything on the computer. No other outboard gear.

Will I run into any problems with processor speed?
    Will it be a functional system?

Any help is appreciated.

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

CPU no, it should be fine, but the HD is slow on in that machine (4200 RPM), so for the best performance, get an external Firewire drive (7200 RPM) to keep your songs on. I use Logic and sometimes GarageBand (to sketch out tunes). On the GB and LE7 forums, the external FW drive is pretty much needed for those machines, and other that have a 4200 RPM drive. I use a LaCie 250 gig Porshe design FW drive and have been quite happy with it. I am using a G4 tower with a 1.2 Ghz CPU upgrade, and 1.5 gig RAM. You didn't mention RAM, but I'd probably max it out to get the most.
    I am not a Cubase guy. In Logic and GB, you can lock or freeze tracks to relieve CPU load on tracks that have extensive effect applied. If Cubase has that capapbility, then you should be OK there as well. But these effect can be quite taxing, especially amp sims.
    I know a guy on the GB forums that has an older iBook and he has managed to get 30 tracks by locking them when needed. He does transfer to a G5 tower when he is ready for serious mixing, but he uses the iBook to record the basic tracks.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

My son uses that iBook for his recording, and it works just fine with Digital Performer, with plug-ins, and he can get plenty of tracks happening.

He also uses Final Cut Pro on the machine with no problems, and that's a pretty intensive program.

But an external firewire drive is still a good idea.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The built-in drive is probably fine for a few tracks, but if you're planning having a multi-track session larger than, say, 10-12 tracks (just a guess), the drive might be too slow.

5. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    It's frustrating. I have a 1.33 iBook. I like to edit away from the studio whenever I can. Hi track and plugin counts are the enemy, mainly because I'm limited to 1.25GB of memory. I'm probably going to move to a MacBook Pro near the end of the year.

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

If I am not mistaken, the MacBook Pro still has a slower drive, doesn't it? My suggestion of using a fast external firewire drive is still one the best investments you can make. I have a fast internal drive, and still got an external, so I have plenty of space and speed for my projects.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I have a 1.42 iBook with 1G of memory (max). I also use it for editing but I disable most or all plugs when I'm doing that. I've been able to play back as many as 8 tracks on the system drive with high latency... I don't think I've tried more than that (on the system drive, that is).

I've also used it for remote single-track recording with MBox to the system drive. It was a while ago and I think I disabled all but two, maybe three tracks of playback.