Need advice for Victorilux problems...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tallhorses, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Just picked up a Victorilux in the emporium and I'm having a few problems. Any advice from an amp pro would be helpful....

First it's really noisy when the stand by is off, more so than the my Carr or my 20112 with the same guitar. Nothing in the chain. Strat or tele --> amp. I swapped out all the tubes but no dice...same thing. It sounds like tramsformer humm. Seems as though I once had the same problem with a top hat and it pointed to a power or rectifier tube which I swapped out - problem gone. When I put it in stand by the hum goes away.

Second, after running the amp for a while, I switch it back to stand by and I get a loud pop every other time.

Any troublesooting advice would be helpful.

Thanks....

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Did you swap out power tubes too? Could be a "hummy" power tube, mismatched power tubes, power tubes biased too hot, etc.

Do any of the controls increase or reduce hum? If you pull the phase inverter tube does the hum decrease or stay the say?

3. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I did swap out the power tubes with no effect. I swapped the phase inverter with no change but didn't pull it completely. Can I run it with out the PI?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yes, you can run the amp without it. You can run most tube amps with at least one tube pulled for a short while. Preamp tubes are not an issue.

If the hum goes away with the PI pulled this would indicate a preamp problem...either a tube or something internal.

5. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Just an update... turned out I needed a Smoothing cap on the reverb circuit. It was an easy install and Mark was a great help!

From Mark Baier...

"because of the use of UN sheilded witre in a Victoria amp, some interference may be encountered from time to time..The unsheilded wire produces a livlier tone, and we feel the trade off is worth it...

SO..

I'd like to insert a smoothing cap (.001 @ 600) across the 12AT7 plate/cathode circuit..you may be getting too much action in the rreverb circuit."