Need Advice! Guitar Recording Software

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by deadhead, Jan 25, 2012.

1. deadhead

deadhead Member

I'm looking for a very basic, free program that I can download to record my acoustic guitar playing. I don't want anything fancy, just want to record when I play so I don't keep forgetting riffs and things that I come up with.

Anyone have any suggestions?

p.s. I've been searching the forum for information and haven't found any, so if this has been covered, sorry in advance.

Thanks for the help!

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Google "Reaper", and "Audacity."

3. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

Most of the modern phones have good recording software built in. I use my iPhone for this purpose and then copy/backup the files. Works great for what you're talking about. The phone is, for me, far more convenient than software. With a software solution, I have to (a) make sure the computer is on, (b) make sure I start the software, (c) make sure my connection to the software works, (d) plug in, (e) make sure my recording levels are hot, (f) hit the record button, (g) play, and finally (h) make sure that it actually did record. That sounds like a lot of steps and it is - but it's also a lot of time. Time is the idea killer - if I come up with an idea, sometimes I need to record it within 30 seconds or I lose the essence of it. I can't always do that in a software way.

With the phone though, I make it a habit to always have it with me anyway - the steps for the phone to record are (a) unlock if necessary, (b) touch screen recording app icon, (c) hit record. I know how to do the levels - just manage that by how close the guitar is to the phone. And I know it records.

But if you want software, cool - Audacity is free and Reaper is "free with a 10-second nag at the beginning". If you want to remove the nag, I think it's $60. That, to me, is pricey for just something to capture ideas.

4. deadhead

deadhead Member

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I still have an ancient phone so that isn't an option for me. I will look into Audacity for sure.

Thanks again